The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Thanks for this, I want to try it. Haven't found a way yet to integrate (the vst filters) with iTunes or another free player for OS X, any idea?

First put your VST files into your Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

Then install this VST/AU manager:

http://www.kvraudio....anager_by_vstau

The software is self explanatory, basically install all VST files.

Edit: Neutrino will support VST for OS X

http://neutrino.en.softonic.com/mac

Runs limited features when expired, but still works fine for music playback.

Edited by johnwmclean

I used that setup to run apQualizr when I had the SR-507. I could not use those headphones without EQ. Haven't used it since I sold the 507, but maybe I will download TB Isone so I can see what it is about. I wouldn't mind having a simple cross feed for some of my music, but TB Isone looks like it may do more processing than I am looking for.

I have to say the SR-X MkIII Pro is really a great sounding headphone (with SRM-717 and Lavry). Very balanced from top to bottom (bass is deep and tight), phenomenal timbre, great resoution and dynamics.

Just a hint of sharpness in the midrange. Soundstage is not big but not cramped either.

The headband might need a bit of extra padding but otherwise the comfort is better than what I remembered, having the NB version earlier (but with a different source)

Tonally I prefer this to the SR-007 which imho has too much bass and treble and too coloured mids. Still no SR-009 though...

Edited by padam

I promised a few people some impressions of my new stat rig, a KGSSHV and O2 MK1, I recently sold my dynamic system (balanced β22 and LCD-2R2) to support my new venture. For a month or so I was left without any system whilst I was building my KGSSHV, my impressions are based on auditory memory of my dynamic rig, my source remains the same, a Buffalo32 DAC.

So here goes…

The treble on the stat system extends way further without every being harsh, when called on it’s as delicate and airy as anything I’ve heard. I can hear way into the recording venue, instruments are better defined with clearer attack. The LCD-2 in no way can keep up with the O2 in this regard, it just doesn’t have the top end detail the O2 possesses. The mids of the O2 are just excellent, again better detail than the LCD-2, although the LCD-2 does add some weight and meat behind instruments and voices - overall the sheer brilliance of the O2 gets my vote. Bass with the O2 is absolutely amazing, it hits hard with great weight and detail, to my surprise actually, as I thought the LCD-2 would be the clear winner with bass - if only for the most bass dependant genres the O2 is simply remarkable.

John

Edited by johnwmclean

I considered John's B22 with both his and my HD800 the most crystal clear setup I have ever heard.

It did not augment nor mute the treble peak of the HD800's.

If there was a problem, it was with the phones, and not the amp.

I have to say the SR-X MkIII Pro is really a great sounding headphone (with SRM-717 and Lavry). Very balanced from top to bottom (bass is deep and tight), phenomenal timbre, great resoution and dynamics.

Just a hint of sharpness in the midrange. Soundstage is not big but not cramped either.

The headband might need a bit of extra padding but otherwise the comfort is better than what I remembered, having the NB version earlier (but with a different source)

Tonally I prefer this to the SR-007 which imho has too much bass and treble and too coloured mids. Still no SR-009 though...

I loved my SRX MkIII Pro when I had it. I just wished it was more comfortable as it killed my ears and head wearing it. I preferred it to even a 507.