The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

That's an excellent idea Birgir! I will talk to them about it later this month at the fujiya festival. They never listen to anyone it seems but it's worth a try wink.png.

They never do listen but it's still a good idea to add this feature. Only problem is that the amp needs to be dialed in again after doing the change. They could just add a servo though...

What a great experiment Birgir! Why did you choose LNS drivers? I know they are very smooth but not as fast as the 1 micron Lambdas. IMO the Orpheus are very fast and dynamic and the LNS might not be quite comparable speed wise.I believe Sennheiser deliberatly designed the Orpheus to be a diffuse type of headstage, which is great for large scale classical but perhaps not quite as good for small scale stuff like Jazz.Where on earth did you manage to source all those Orpheus parts from?

I was offered a very derelict example of a LNS for parts or repair so that's where the drivers come from. I needed to do some work on them and one has some noise from time to time so they are perfect for some testing. The LNS is also my favorite Lambda so that made the choice easier. I do have a Lambda Sig here too so I might do the change at a later date. They will certainly be a lot less obvious inside the HE90 frame then the gold LNS drivers.

As for the parts, well I asked nicely. laugh.png I'm friends with the Sennheiser distributor here so he can order pretty much anything for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wuss!!! grin.gif I really wish Stax would just market a 737 already with this option switchable.

That's an excellent idea Birgir! I will talk to them about it later this month at the fujiya festival. They never listen to anyone it seems but it's worth a try wink.png.

They never do listen but it's still a good idea to add this feature. Only problem is that the amp needs to be dialed in again after doing the change. They could just add a servo though...

Birgir, I had a chat with Stax yesterday about this as part of the fall headphone festival in Tokyo. It was quite an interesting conversation! Basically, Stax isn't a fan of providing alternate voicing options within the same product. For instance, if the feedback loop in the 3rd stage had minimal impact on the sonics, it would defeat the purpose of having a switch there and be a waste of money. From your experience, it obviously has profound effect. If there was to be a profound effect with one scheme sounding much better than the other, they also would be in a delicate situation (for example if it was the feedback version that sounded good, people would question why they had it out as an option and part of a product feature in the past)...

I mentioned a scenario like some headphones benefitting from the feedback (such as the Omega 2) while others pair well with the feedback removed (such as 009 assuming this lack of feedback helps to roll off the highs a bit and/or give it more body?). About the issue with consistency, I mentioned that it wouldn't be a first (for instance the ports). But what he mentioned is that if they were to released a product with the feedback loop back in, it would be a new product with only that feature. I can understand where they're coming from.

Another interesting discussion (I realize I come across as very rude in Japanese culture but the Stax person was extremely friendly, we meet every 6 months so he's starting to know me anyhow ;) ) was about the voicing of their recent gear. In particular how I fell for the mk1 "evenness" and clean bass after 2 years of owning the mk2.5 and how some people would crave a 009 with a bit thicker membrane (hence a little reduction in the highs). He obviously did not / could not comment but I think Stax is aware of both the praise and the critic of their phones.

I have had a 009 on loan for several weeks now and have to agree with Brigir its voicing does not seem to continue in the neutral path of the 007 Mk1. I do find it a bit enigmatic, bright treble, good bass but at the same time thin and lacks body. The soundstage seems much broader but less well integrated than the 007, so instruments and sections of the orchestra stand out somewhat like the presentation of the Sen HD800. Overall I much prefer the neutrality of the 007 Mk1's.

Another interesting discussion (I realize I come across as very rude in Japanese culture but the Stax person was extremely friendly, we meet every 6 months so he's starting to know me anyhow wink.png ) was about the voicing of their recent gear. In particular how I fell for the mk1 "evenness" and clean bass after 2 years of owning the mk2.5 and how some people would crave a 009 with a bit thicker membrane (hence a little reduction in the highs). He obviously did not / could not comment but I think Stax is aware of both the praise and the critic of their phones.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a 009 on loan for several weeks now and have to agree with Brigir its voicing does not seem to continue in the neutral path of the 007 Mk1. I do find it a bit enigmatic, bright treble, good bass but at the same time thin and lacks body. The soundstage seems much broader but less well integrated than the 007, so instruments and sections of the orchestra stand out somewhat like the presentation of the Sen HD800. Overall I much prefer the neutrality of the 007 Mk1's.

Interesting...007MK1 neutral? I'd place it on the dark side of neutral and the SR-009 closer to that unattainable goal.

^ I agree with you.

There are at least two camps on this. Some of us are more sensitive to treble harshness (real or perceived, I have no idea) and prefer the 007MK1. Others are not and prefer the 009.

I find the same dichotomy in dynamics with the HD800 vs. LCD2 debate. Those who are sensitive to treble tend to gravitate twoards the LCDs, while those who aren't often prefer the HD8s.

Different strokes for different folk, I guess.

To my ears, the 007 is a more neutral tonally, but the 009 pulls me in to the music and makes me pay attention. If the music is background, I would prefer the 007, but if I am listening, I prefer the 009.

There are at least two camps on this. Some of us are more sensitive to treble harshness (real or perceived, I have no idea) and prefer the 007MK1. Others are not and prefer the 009. I find the same dichotomy in dynamics with the HD800 vs. LCD2 debate. Those who are sensitive to treble tend to gravitate twoards the LCDs, while those who aren't often prefer the HD8s.

I have observed the same thing in general, though to my ears, the LCD aren't in the same league as the 007 while the HD800 is in the same league as the 009, though bested in almost every way by the 009. There is also the "minor" issue of comfort. For me, the the LCD are as heavy on my head as they sound to my ears.

--Mark

Have any of you yet listened to the SR-002? If so, any thoughts on how it compares to the big boys, or maybe the JH13s?

I had a brief listen in Tokyo. They are probably more like mini-009s than the mini-007s that the 001s were. Very detailed, but rather congested. Worthy of a good portable source though. The problem was I had just heard the new JVC IEMs, which, despite having a FR like mini DX1000s, were far more competent. I haven't ever owned a pair of custom IEMs though.

Brighter tonal balance on the SR-002 is what I expected, and what I didn't want to hear. That's too bad - given how practical IEMs are, the 002 will really have to stand out on sound quality. I've been using my IEMs over the 001 just because it isn't better enough sonically to put up with the bad fit and bulky amp, not to mention no isolation whatsoever.

Somebody needs to slap Stax upside the head.

I presume you have all read the Mega Review thread that is trending on the other place seesaw.gif

Funny enough,I prefer the HD800 to the LCD2 and you know my stance on the 009... smile.png

To my ears, the 007 is a more neutral tonally, but the 009 pulls me in to the music and makes me pay attention. If the music is background, I would prefer the 007, but if I am listening, I prefer the 009.

I have observed the same thing in general, though to my ears, the LCD aren't in the same league as the 007 while the HD800 is in the same league as the 009, though bested in almost every way by the 009. There is also the "minor" issue of comfort. For me, the the LCD are as heavy on my head as they sound to my ears.

--Mark

I've seen the gigantic call for help and anybody to take him seriously. Everybody knows though that David Mahler is a brain dead fucktard and moar monies does not equal bettah soundz. Seriously, the guy makes Sixmoons seem level headed and accurate.

For me the SR-009 only appears to be neutral as the upper mid/lower treble issues are clearly a coloration. That plus the bass issues means it's not the chameleon the Mk1 is (and to a certain extent the SR-Omega) which changes to meet what ever it is fed. It has a sound which is super smooth and a bit on the dark side but that doesn't mean it can't rock out or be painfully bright.

In the end the 009 always sounds like a 009, feed them something dark and the brightness doesn't disappear nor does the shelved bass.

• Like 1

I've seen the gigantic call for help and anybody to take him seriously. Everybody knows though that David Mahler is a brain dead fucktard and moar monies does not equal bettah soundz. Seriously, the guy makes Sixmoons seem level headed and accurate.

For me the SR-009 only appears to be neutral as the upper mid/lower treble issues are clearly a coloration. That plus the bass issues means it's not the chameleon the Mk1 is (and to a certain extent the SR-Omega) which changes to meet what ever it is fed. It has a sound which is super smooth and a bit on the dark side but that doesn't mean it can't rock out or be painfully bright.

In the end the 009 always sounds like a 009, feed them something dark and the brightness doesn't disappear nor does the shelved bass.

Just another data point:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-009

For those of you who don't read Head-Fi, a visit of / interview at Stax head office is planned for 12/12/12. We're planning to ask 12 questions, challenge is they should be 12 words long. Can you help?

More seriously, the date and appointment is real, I am welcoming questions you might want to add to the existing set: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634106/stax-factory-tour-and-interview-in-japan-approved-during-my-trip-to-tokyo-japan-december-6th-to-december-13th-2012/30#post_8899701

Only issue is the time limit, I need to send (a Japanese translated version) of the questions to Stax within the week so, really, ask now or never... Post / PM here is fine if you're afraid to catch a brain cold visiting the other site.

Cheers, arnaud

• Like 1