The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I've not followed Stax too closely, but having learned that the new O2 is different than the old version, I may get an old version before they become unavailable (hopefully thats not already the case)

Would someone verify if one of these is the old version? If not, whats the difference, other than cosmetic?

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_SR-007_(OmegaII)_Electrostatic_Earspeakers.html

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_SR-007A_(OmegaII)_Electrostatic_Earspeakers.html

They appear to be the same impedance.

I've not followed Stax too closely, but having learned that the new O2 is different than the old version, I may get an old version before they become unavailable (hopefully thats not already the case)

Would someone verify if one of these is the old version? If not, whats the difference, other than cosmetic?

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_SR-007_(OmegaII)_Electrostatic_Earspeakers.html

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Stax/product/Stax_SR-007A_(OmegaII)_Electrostatic_Earspeakers.html

Looking at them, the first one (the cheaper one) appears to be the old version. I'd call them to see if they (Audio Cubes) can actually get them, though, as Stax has stopped producing them.

AFAIK, the spec didn't change from old model to MkII.

In case anybody is interested, I'm putting my SR-007 and SRM-717 on ebay tomorrow. Headcasers get a 10% or 100 Euro discount, whatever is more.

Damn you. >:D

What's the country of origin for your SR-007/717, i.e., where would one need to send them in for repair/warranty?

Lo and behold! Another headphone forum? Another Stax thread? You guys are blowing my mind. :kitty:

Just discovered HC while searching for more information on the SRD-7 pro bias conversion. The SRD-7 MK/II schematic was posted here some time ago -- thanks Spritzer! -- but I was wondering if anyone has the standard SRD-7 schematic to compare it to?

I'm frankly out of my depth, but am trying to learn some circuit basics so that I can manage this (and another audio project or two I have in mind for the summer). I'd like to see the SRD-7 schematic to make sure that I don't need to make any other changes.

Okay. Here's where I stand. I am definitely getting some 'stats. It was my goal to listen to a bunch at CanJam. And while I didn't hear a "bunch," I heard enough, as it seems we all did. Truth be told, I think the love started at the first National Meet when I heard the O2. Several meets after that, I made the mistake of always starting with the O2, which wasn't fair to the rest of the cans.

Anyway, all that horseshit aside, it's time to make a decision. I'm in the process of selling off some gear, but it won't be enough to go crazy (i.e., no Blue Hawaii in my future). Here's what I am thinking, in no particular order:

1) Find a decent deal on a used 007 and skimp on the amp for now (whatever I can get away with at the lowest price, then start saving for a KGSS or similar);

2) Get a 3050 II; or

3) Navigate through the current craze and try to score some Lambdas and a decent amp.

Thoughts and guidance are appreciated.

Third option: buy a set of ESP950s and have a KGSS built with a 620v bias option :)

Okay. Here's where I stand. I am definitely getting some 'stats. It was my goal to listen to a bunch at CanJam. And while I didn't hear a "bunch," I heard enough, as it seems we all did. Truth be told, I think the love started at the first National Meet when I heard the O2. Several meets after that, I made the mistake of always starting with the O2, which wasn't fair to the rest of the cans.

Anyway, all that horseshit aside, it's time to make a decision. I'm in the process of selling off some gear, but it won't be enough to go crazy (i.e., no Blue Hawaii in my future). Here's what I am thinking, in no particular order:

1) Find a decent deal on a used 007 and skimp on the amp for now (whatever I can get away with at the lowest price, then start saving for a KGSS or similar);

2) Get a 3050 II; or

3) Navigate through the current craze and try to score some Lambdas and a decent amp.

Thoughts and guidance are appreciated.

Just joined Team Stax, but to save any credibility I may have left, I made the jump slightly before this crazy hype, and kthe reason for doing so is rooted much earlier.

Anyway, SR-Lambda and SRD-7 off a Trends TA-10.1. It's great. :dance: This is the kind of bass I like!

If I were to upgrade in the future, would it be the headphone, energizer (upgrade to electrostatic amp), or speaker amp? And is there a higher up that has the same general characteristics as the Lambda, but maybe a little more prominent vocals and a little less treble edge?

First off... don't buy from AC. Their prices are nearly as bad as the US retailers so avoid. There are still a few Mk1's floating around new but you are most likely to find them at dealers in the US and Europe then in Japan. It wouldn't hurt to drop a line to EIFL and ask about a Mk1.

Lo and behold! Another headphone forum? Another Stax thread? You guys are blowing my mind. :kitty:

Just discovered HC while searching for more information on the SRD-7 pro bias conversion. The SRD-7 MK/II schematic was posted here some time ago -- thanks Spritzer! -- but I was wondering if anyone has the standard SRD-7 schematic to compare it to?

I'm frankly out of my depth, but am trying to learn some circuit basics so that I can manage this (and another audio project or two I have in mind for the summer). I'd like to see the SRD-7 schematic to make sure that I don't need to make any other changes.

Welcome to the good forum. :) There were at least two different versions of the SRD-7 bias supply's but they are all half-way rectified bias doublers with a 100v zener string on the input to limit the voltage. If you Google a voltage doubler it should be there, the only thing Stax did was to connect the - side to the center taps on the transformer and add a 2-5M resistor inline with the + output.

Just joined Team Stax, but to save any credibility I may have left, I made the jump slightly before this crazy hype, and kthe reason for doing so is rooted much earlier.

Anyway, SR-Lambda and SRD-7 off a Trends TA-10.1. It's great. :dance: This is the kind of bass I like!

If I were to upgrade in the future, would it be the headphone, energizer (upgrade to electrostatic amp), or speaker amp? And is there a higher up that has the same general characteristics as the Lambda, but maybe a little more prominent vocals and a little less treble edge?

That would be the SR-007 you are describing... :kitty: A new energizer will help and swapping out that "amp" is also a good move for something that works well at low levels.

Welcome to head-case, sorry about your thin skin. And this.

You're not really sorry! >:(

Welcome to the good forum. :)

I'll say. This place practically IS the Stax thread. It's like Valhalla or something.

There were at least two different versions of the SRD-7 bias supply's but they are all half-way rectified bias doublers with a 100v zener string on the input to limit the voltage. If you Google a voltage doubler it should be there, the only thing Stax did was to connect the - side to the center taps on the transformer and add a 2-5M resistor inline with the + output.

Thanks, that helps.

I am also out of my depth in the Stax world but I am attempting to learn.

I am also looking for a two plug dual bias version for my "low end" Stax headphones if anyone is offering....but I don't want to spend too much either.