The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I apologize if this has been covered recently, but what is the going rate for 717 now-a-days?

As much as I've been enjoying my dynamic rig, I really miss OII's. :sadcat: As such, I'm seriously contemplating selling my dynamic rig (recabled K1000, RS-1, and Beta22) to finance OII's again and I figure I'd grab 717 until I can save up enough for a better amp.

O2 MkII on the way, ETA: Thursday.

SRD-7 Pro already here, and making the SR-003 sound better than it ever did on anything ever, together with a Dared VP-20 giving it some muscle.

I thought SRD-7 boxes Just can't drive O2 well (eh, Spritzer?)

Which reminds me. At the Can Jam, did anyone try O2 MkI on BHSE and see if it bested O2 MkII?

Which reminds me. At the Can Jam, did anyone try O2 MkI on BHSE and see if it bested O2 MkII?

It's not a combo I'd recommend. The transformers simply can't drive the load presented but a good DIY adapter could be something to look into.

I'd bet the Sony ECR-500 transformer could drive the O2 (with external bias feed) it has much higher output than the Stax boxes.

It isn't the voltage that is the issue but current and the transformers struggle to deliver it.

The O2 is really hitting it up for the blat hax wanted headphone of the month. Can't help you on the 717 price though.

At least I used to own a pair. I sold the Stax rig back then to finance couple of things that ultimately didn't work out in the end. I regret selling the rig, but hindsight is 20/20.

They can drive them, just not to the max. This was definitely confirmed by my experience with the BHSE prototype at Canjam. But I am listening to my O2s as we speak with an SRD-7/Mk2, and it sounds lovely. But the BHSE adds more bass, much more midrange (my god that midrange!!), more coherent soundstage, and even sharpens the treble without making it bright or fatiguing.

Also, this is the first evening I've had to listen for an extended period since I bent the arc upwards in the middle in an effort to reduce the pressure of the strap on the top of my head. I had to bend the arc directly above the housings ever so slightly inwards, and set the crease on the pads so they could form a line from one pad to the other directly along my eyebrow, but it looks like its working out well. Great sound, good comfort. No headache issues. I'll continue the experiment tomorrow night.

Have been listening to the SR-Lambda standard bias for the last hour or so.

Impressions so far compared to the SR-404 are a less detailed sound overall.

I remember going from the Lambda pro to the SR-404 and loving how less fatiguing it was. The upper mids were smoothed out and less peaky but not at the expense of detail or impact, if anything the SR-404 was superior in both regards.

Comparing the SR-404 and SR-Lambda side by side, the Lambda is relative to the SR-404 as the SR-404 was to the Lambda Pro, but unfortunately at the expense of detail and impact.

However, this makes it a more relaxed listen and better for background listening. On the other hand, I consider the Lambda pro and even the SR-404 a more engaging listen, I could not use them for background listening.

Sound quality aside, this pair are in great condition, and I'm surprised such an old phone has lasted this long. I think the headband is smaller on the Lambda compared to the Lambda pro and SR-404 though, since I have a large-ish head and have maxed out the headband on it, whereas with the SR-404 and Pros there is still a fair bit of room to spare.

Are the pads flat-ish, or are they still plump and soft? If its the former do consider changing them. My Nova Sig improved quite a bit (less diffuse, more punchy and focused, and the highs are at last, present) when I swapped out the original pads (which were rotting <_<) for a new set of SR-404 pads.

They can drive them, just not to the max. This was definitely confirmed by my experience with the BHSE prototype at Canjam. But I am listening to my O2s as we speak with an SRD-7/Mk2, and it sounds lovely. But the BHSE adds more bass, much more midrange (my god that midrange!!), more coherent soundstage, and even sharpens the treble without making it bright or fatiguing.

That's pretty much it. I'm going to go hug my BH now... :-*

Also, this is the first evening I've had to listen for an extended period since I bent the arc upwards in the middle in an effort to reduce the pressure of the strap on the top of my head. I had to bend the arc directly above the housings ever so slightly inwards, and set the crease on the pads so they could form a line from one pad to the other directly along my eyebrow, but it looks like its working out well. Great sound, good comfort. No headache issues. I'll continue the experiment tomorrow night.

Very cool. When you get the SR-007 fit right the crazy headband design suddenly makes perfect sense.

Are the pads flat-ish, or are they still plump and soft? If its the former do consider changing them. My Nova Sig improved quite a bit (less diffuse, more punchy and focused, and the highs are at last, present) when I swapped out the original pads (which were rotting <_<) for a new set of SR-404 pads.

Pads are something that should not be overlooked.

very much plump. if anything there's more springiness than the SR-404

but then again, the SR-404 has a softer sort of leather. these feel like vinyl

Sound quality aside, this pair are in great condition, and I'm surprised such an old phone has lasted this long. I think the headband is smaller on the Lambda compared to the Lambda pro and SR-404 though, since I have a large-ish head and have maxed out the headband on it, whereas with the SR-404 and Pros there is still a fair bit of room to spare.

Really? I thought that the Lambda, Lambda Pro, and Lambda Sig all have the same headband. The 404 headband is a little different, and it didn't fit me. I was surprised to find that the Lambda Pro headband is a little wider, and actually works for my head.

I got a package in the mail.

I could take pics but meh. You've all seen O2's before.

I still don't have my upgraded source so initial impressions are off the Rega. And, I have to say, it's pretty damn obvious that it isn't up to the task. Still, with 2 hours out of the box I have observed the following:

1) Flattish frequency response. Flattish, but not flat. The highs are a little soft. So is the deep bass. I expected a lot of bass, actually, but if anything bass quantity is a bit on the quiet side. I think it's the Rega, which isn't known for its bass, and the fact that I have silver cables in the system.

2) Impeccable detail. The O2 really doesn't flaunt its detail, but if you listen closely, you'll hear just how astonishingly detailed it can be.

3) Fast! God, I missed planars. I wanted something faster than the HD650/Dared and that's exactly what I got. Much, much faster.

4) Good impact for a 'stat, I suppose, but still not as impactful as I'd like. Very good dynamic range though, doesn't feel compressed, which I expected with a transformer box.

5) Small soundstage. Imaging is very precise, though. Lots of air and good instrument separation.

I can't be more specific than that. Yes, I hear a roll-off in the deep bass, slightly loose midbass, and a slight nasal quality to the lower midrange, but I can't stand behind any of that with so little time on the system. Besides, these are brand new, I'm sure burn-in will change things a lot.

So, are they head and shoulders better than the Dared/HD650?

Um... no. This really puts things into perspective, but I'd say that a balanced (or push-pull rather) HD650 is about on par. There are some things that the O2 does better, and some things that the HD650 does better. I'd say that the O2 wins on detail, speed, tone, and texture, while the HD650 wins on soundstage (equally precise imaging but much bigger headstage... sorry Spritzer :P), bass, impact, and dynamic range.

So far, I listened to an electronic ambient album ("Call of the Mystic" by Bahramji and Maneesh de Moor, an excellent disk BTW) and I thought the O2 did well. Nothing stuck out as being immediately wrong - except maybe for the smallish headstage - but it also didn't grab me the way the HD650 does. Still, I enjoyed it, and it didn't sound excessively thin or ethereal like it does on other 'stats. Then, I listened to an acoustic new age/ambient album ("Breathe" by Nicholas Gunn, one of the best disks in my collection IMO) and it was honestly the best I've ever heard it sound on any system I've had. I've never heard it sound so lush, full, detailed, and pure. It's a studio recording with an artificial soundstage so I couldn't really test the staging capabilities, but the tone and texture of each instrument was superb. Flutes were so pristinely perfect that I felt I was listening to a physical manifestation of the ideal concept of "flute" more than the real thing. I could easily hear that the flute was recorded in a medium-sized studio, several feet away from the mic, in the center of the studio where the sound was allowed to reverberate. Acoustic guitars were recorded pretty much right at the strings, while the violin was recorded further away from the mic but this time the reverberations were artificially dampened with acoustic treatments so as not to interfere with the tonal purity. The vocals were clearly digitally processed and in the processing some of the acoustic properties were lost, but then they were subtly layered over each other to create a pseudo-reverb effect. They sounded digital, for lack of a better term, but nice.

These are the types of things you have to try to pick out on most systems, but the O2, even in my lowly rig (which admittedly is about to get a lot loftier), makes them obvious. I wasn't listening for any specifics but they were clear as day.

So, on the whole, cat likes! A lot!! I think that a balanced HD650 would do better on my electronic ambient and psytrance music, but this is one heck of a lot better on acoustic classical, new age, and jazz.

Of course, this is all completely out of the box. Let's see what burn in will do!

Rega Planet 2000. Definitely not good enough to settle on, but it's still quite passable in the meanwhile.

Just listened to Shpongle's "Are You Shpongled" and it gave me the chills. Seriously good sound - robust, authoritative, warmish but not too warm, detailed, fast, impactful, vivid, and dynamic.

It's new toy fever in catscratchland. Or would that be new toy catscratch fever? :stick:

2) Impeccable detail. The O2 really doesn't flaunt its detail, but if you listen closely, you'll hear just how astonishingly detailed it can be.

This is one aspect of the O2 which I absolutely love. Like you said, details don't jump out at you, but listen carefully and wow... So smooth and rich, yet insanely detailed at the same time. Just how did they do it :laugh:

5) Small soundstage. Imaging is very precise, though. Lots of air and good instrument separation.

I agree! It reproduces a lot of reverberation and ambience cues. The sound is quite 'live'.

Enjoy! I really want one too!

This is one aspect of the O2 which I absolutely love. Like you said, details don't jump out at you, but listen carefully and wow... So smooth and rich, yet insanely detailed at the same time. Just how did they do it :laugh:

The same way Quad did it in 1955, stiff stators in a simple, yet stiff frame.

Rega Planet 2000. Definitely not good enough to settle on, but it's still quite passable in the meanwhile.

Just listened to Shpongle's "Are You Shpongled" and it gave me the chills. Seriously good sound - robust, authoritative, warmish but not too warm, detailed, fast, impactful, vivid, and dynamic.

It's new toy fever in catscratchland. Or would that be new toy catscratch fever? :stick:

I'm a huge fan of the Planet. Not the last word in detail, but it's got everything else in spades (prat, impact, bass, euphony, analog-y-ness...and most important, listenability -- I actually had a pre-2K Planet for the longest time as my primary player).

Since I just finished converting a SRM-323A over to 240v I though it would only be fair to take one for the team here test it with the SR-007A. I can safely declare that it isn't really good at driving them not that couldn't be predicted. The extra bass bloom helps by covering up the true lack of extension and the sound is rather balanced but lack all the drama I know the SR-007 can deliver. The SRM-1 Mk2 PP is a rather better amp, even though it looks like shit next to the very purdy newcomer, with more extension, balls and HF sparkle.

In other Stax news, a new SR-Sigma Pro 404 has been born and I can confirm that the original SR-Lambda drivers used uninsulated, etched copper plates for stators. One sett arrived with a failed glue on the a driver so I split it open for a peek. Very simple construction and no wonder Stax has made them by the tens of thousands and still do.