The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The SRM-1 Mk2 PP is a rather better amp, even though it looks like shit next to the very purdy newcomer, with more extension, balls and HF sparkle.

I am alone in not liking the looks of new Stax amps? I like the look of SRM-T1 and SRM-1 better, than any of the new amps :D

By the way what's a max voltage that Sigma/Lambda or SR-007 can take?

Around double the bias voltage. A safe insulation rating for air is around 100v/mil which is around 3.9kV/mm. The D/S gap on a Pro bias Stax driver is 0.5mm so around 1950v before the air breaks down.

Around double the bias voltage. A safe insulation rating for air is around 100v/mil which is around 3.9kV/mm. The D/S gap on a Pro bias Stax driver is 0.5mm so around 1950v before the air breaks down.

Cool. What is the maximum that new BH can output? :D

I'm a huge fan of the Planet. Not the last word in detail, but it's got everything else in spades (prat, impact, bass, euphony, analog-y-ness...and most important, listenability -- I actually had a pre-2K Planet for the longest time as my primary player).

I agree, I really like the signature of the Planet. Considering how cheap you can get one these days it's one hell of a bargain. It has that unique listenability - you can just put on some tunes and forget all about listening to the system, and get immersed in the music.

Unfortunately the O2's resolution far exceeds that of the Planet. Also, the Planet doesn't quite have the right sound signature to be a perfect match. I think a brighter, more vibrant player with a lot more detail - but one that still has all of the prat and impact - would suit it better.

Still, I'm keeping mine for a secondary rig.

And man, the O2 just keeps growing and growing on me. I love it. I think I may be done, at least for a while, and as far as the headphones themselves are concerned.

The plans I have for the rest of the rig though... my wallet is crying in a corner.

I might be joining the headcase stax crowd soon, I'm seriously considering setting up an O2 rig.

FOTMFOTMFOTMFOTM

;D

If I didn't have the Menace and finally feel like my dynamic rig is reasonably complete I'd be headed down that path as well. As it is I'm pretty damn content, oh and there's that whole stat rig in the basement that I still have to unpack as well...

FOTMFOTMFOTMFOTM

;D

If I didn't have the Menace and finally feel like my dynamic rig is reasonably complete I'd be headed down that path as well. As it is I'm pretty damn content, oh and there's that whole stat rig in the basement that I still have to unpack as well...

just build a kgss for the esp950s :)

Planars are my flavor and not just electrostatics as I have 3 iso-dynamics and I'd like to investigate ribbons for headphone use.

I'm not sure how far Setmenu ever got with his ribbon headphone experiments. He doesn't post much anymore.

I'm not sure how far Setmenu ever got with his ribbon headphone experiments. He doesn't post much anymore.

True. There is some potential there but it's not going to be easy. Another thing that interests me is the application of a more more open ESP driver but again far from easy.

Have there ever been any ribbon or planar headphones/earspeakers? What kind of driver is in the K1000?

Bog standard moving coil in the K1000.