The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Alright, some basic questions on a couple things, and then a request to figure out a price for something.

First, what is the difference (quality, SQ, sound signature, other) between the SR-Lambda Signatures and the Lambda Nova Signatures?

Second, same question as between the T1, T1W and T1S energisers?

Last, what is a fair price for the ED-1 Diffuse Field Equalizer?

Boring, I know, but I am curious about doing a deal with a guy and I am not sure what I am dealing with.

The Nova has the newer arc assembly (same as the new phones), the current TOTL cable and better earpad material then the Signature but I find the sound to be good on the Nova but they are just boring and lifeless compared to the older phones.

All of the T1 amps use the same PCB but the T1 is RCA only while the T1S and T1W are multiple input and one has XLR sockets. The T1W also has variable bias on one output and a passive preamp function. I prefer the sound of the original T1 by a hair but they are all good amps that can be made better with a few simple mods.

The ED-1 is a hot item for some strange reason so they can go for 200$ and up to 700$ depending on the market so nailing down one amount is tough.

The Nova has the newer arc assembly (same as the new phones), the current TOTL cable and better earpad material then the Signature but I find the sound to be good on the Nova but they are just boring and lifeless compared to the older phones.

All of the T1 amps use the same PCB but the T1 is RCA only while the T1S and T1W are multiple input and one has XLR sockets. The T1W also has variable bias on one output and a passive preamp function. I prefer the sound of the original T1 by a hair but they are all good amps that can be made better with a few simple mods.

The ED-1 is a hot item for some strange reason so they can go for 200$ and up to 700$ depending on the market so nailing down one amount is tough.

Thanks man. I am going to try to take those pics of the ED-1 this weekend if I can swing it.

I'm tempted to say the least but the BHSE isn't cheap. I would love to try and fix those drivers though so one of you buy it and send them to me.. ok? ;D

Btw. This is the same amount I paid for my set one year ago so it's a bit on the high side for a cripple.

Ok, I admit it, I lied!!! I just bought them! :o Not a bad price though for some spare parts for my other set.

Ok, I admit it, I lied!!! I just bought them! :o Not a bad price though for some spare parts for my other set.

Really good price. I was really thinking about getting them. Please let us all know how they sound. I am curious if these sound closer to SR-007 or Omega.

Really good price. I was really thinking about getting them. Please let us all know how they sound. I am curious if these sound closer to SR-007 or Omega.

There will be a full report on them and any/all repair attempts of the old drivers. The seller told me how they failed so it might be tough to bring them back... :(

They suffer massive channel imbalance which is most likely tied to some structural issues. It might be very hard to repair but I'll just have to wait and see.

Ah alright. So the seller is including the original SR-Omega drivers with the headphones?

Looks like a SRM1/MK2 just went for $580 over on HF, and there's another one for sale for $500+. That's pretty high isn't it?

It's a bit on the high side but it is the final price including fees and shipping so it wouldn't be much more then a 500$ sticker price and could even be less.

Yeah, that first 5 is awful close to the $ on a keyboard. I wrote him about half an hour ago too (just out of curiosity). We'll see what he says. $750 isn't bad though for a good condition set though. The only set I've seen lately in the $500 range (on eBay) was really beaten up.

Yeah, that first 5 is awful close to the $ on a keyboard. I wrote him about half an hour ago too (just out of curiosity). We'll see what he says. $750 isn't bad though for a good condition set though. The only set I've seen lately in the $500 range (on eBay) was really beaten up.

Given current SRM prices $750 doesn't seem to bad at all, just out of my current "i have no need for this" price range. At $575 I could try it and still pass on a good deal to the next person in line without losing my shirt.

I just finished repairing and restoring the most disgusting headphone I've ever had the unfortunate pleasure of coming across, a Sony ECR-600. They have that "special" cable Sony invented for the ECR-800 and the insulation had literally turned to goo with 4 copper conductors sticking through. Just to add to my pleasure the "goo" stuck to everything. :mad: The headpiece had a thick layer of dirt on them but after a good scrub and a Stax electret re-cable they are good as new. My problem is that I can't get any volume out of them either with the BH at full volume :eek: or with the adapter box driven by the B22. My old ECR-400 box is long gone so I can't use that for testing but this isn't normal. All the connections are fine as there is no imbalance at all, just not enough volume. :confused:

Btw. It's probably the best built supra-aural 'stat I've ever seen and what limited impressions I have they sound stunning. Milled metal cups and an ingenious headband which puts just enough force on the ears. I will post some pics when I get off work tomorrow for the Sony ECR nut cases out there.

I just finished repairing and restoring the most disgusting headphone I've ever had the unfortunate pleasure of coming across, a Sony ECR-600. They have that "special" cable Sony invented for the ECR-800 and the insulation had literally turned to goo with 4 copper conductors sticking through. Just to add to my pleasure the "goo" stuck to everything. :mad: The headpiece had a thick layer of dirt on them but after a good scrub and a Stax electret re-cable they are good as new. My problem is that I can't get any volume out of them either with the BH at full volume :eek: or with the adapter box driven by the B22. My old ECR-400 box is long gone so I can't use that for testing but this isn't normal. All the connections are fine as there is no imbalance at all, just not enough volume. :confused:

Btw. It's probably the best built supra-aural 'stat I've ever seen and what limited impressions I have they sound stunning. Milled metal cups and an ingenious headband which puts just enough force on the ears. I will post some pics when I get off work tomorrow for the Sony ECR nut cases out there.

Shweeeet :D Now go find Sony ECR-800 :D