The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

First impressions on the Lambda Sigs:

Setup: iMac/iTunes (mostly lossless)-->DAC1-->SRM-1/MK-2-->Lambda Pro Signature

Tunes: All kinds, but mostly rock with some classical, celtic, and jazz thrown in.

Effortless. Fluid. Engaging. Captivating. These phones are everything I had hoped and then some. I can listen to these for hours (of course my ears do sweat a bit, though). The Sigs actually remind me of the Harbeths I heard with the HR Desktop Audiophile system at CanJam. If distilled to one word: sweet. Female vocalists: sweet jesus, they sound great. Guitars, too. The phones just hit the right notes (no pun) with me. It's like they bring into clearer relief the best characteristics of the tunes I like the best. I think this is probably the mids because the bass in this setup is not necessarily big. But the bass is defined and punchy. Soundstage is lovely. Instruments seem generally to be in the right places, lots of air. Still a headphone, but a big improvement over the 650, which still trends toward the "three blobs" to me at times. The Sigs are also fast and agile, while remaining articulate and refined. Just an overall superb listening experience, and as of right now, the most satisfying setup I have owned.

The negatives are few. This setup is pretty merciless with regard to poor recordings. I suppose that's par for the course. And up top, things are a little splashy/sparkly right now, with some sibilance (but not what I would call etch). I think that could be the DAC1, which has that tendency. The question is whether to upgade the DAC or the amp. I'm thinking the latter (for now) and am leaning toward the GES because the Sigs could use a touch of warmth. It seems like they would benefit from power and tubes. Does that make sense? Do you guys think that would provide some better synergy with the Benchmark (which was a gift and may not be easily sold for that reason)?

EDITED for typos and some other crap.

First impressions on the Lambda Sigs:

Setup: iMac/iTunes (mostly lossless)-->DAC1-->SRM-1/MK-2-->Lambda Pro Signature

Tunes: All kinds, but mostly rock with some classical, celtic, and jazz thrown in.

Effortless. Fluid. Engaging. Captivating. These phones are everything I had hoped and then some. I can listen to these for hours (of course my ears do sweat a bit, though). The Sigs actually remind me of the Harbeths I heard with the HR Desktop Audiophile system at CanJam. If distilled to one word: sweet. Female vocalists: sweet jesus, they sound great. Guitars, too. The phones just hit the right notes (no pun) with me. It's like they bring into clearer relief the best characteristics of the tunes I like the best. I think this is probably the mids because the bass in this setup is not necessarily big. But the bass is defined and punchy. Soundstage is lovely. Instruments seem generally to be in the right places, lots of air. Still a headphone, but a big improvement over the 650, which still trends toward the "three blobs" to me at times. The Sigs are also fast and agile, while remaining articulate and refined. Just an overall superb listening experience, and as of right now, the most satisfying setup I have owned.

The negatives are few. This setup is pretty merciless with regard to poor recordings. I suppose that's par for the course. And up top, things are a little splashy/sparkly right now, with some sibilance (but not what I would call etch). I think that could be the DAC1, which has that tendency. The question is whether to upgade the DAC or the amp. I'm thinking the latter (for now) and am leaning toward the GES because the Sigs could use a touch of warmth. It seems like they would benefit from power and tubes. Does that make sense? Do you guys think that would provide some better synergy with the Benchmark (which was a gift and may not be easily sold for that reason)?

EDITED for typos and some other crap.

I'm glad you like the Sigs, TM. I definitely prefer them to the pros, and have had neilvg's pair basically since spritzer sold them to him. I don't think he has heard them yet, but between moving into a new place and the economy going to shit he seems to be busy. Anyway, if you cannot sell the Benchmark (present from wife?) then get the GES. The sigs sound nice on the prototype and I am certainly considering the GES if/when I upgrade from the 007t. I think that would take away some of the etch/brightness that can be attributed to the SRM-1, plus it can warm up the Benchmark's signal a bit for you. I bet it will be a good combo.

Monkey, I'll second what Voltron said concerning choosing an amp upgrade over the DAC. In fact since shifting most of my time to electrostatics I've downgraded my source. At least the Pros (Sigs should be here any day), the srm-007t was a big upgrade over the srm-1/mk2 pro, and from what Voltron says the GES may even be more so. A little warmth and a lot of body are the most obvious 'upgrades.' Basically I loved the srm-1/mk2 for some music, but just didn't do it for me with rock and some jazz. Once the 007t entered the picture that reservation went away.

Anybody who has replaced an earpad on a SR-007 knows how much of a pain that is and dong it once can drive somebody mad let alone dozen or so times...

I tried taking off the earpads...

I'm just glad you guys are doing the work of swapping the earpads between the Mk1 and Mk2. It feels great to just sit here while listening to music with the Mk2 and magically somehow "know" the differences between the Mk1 and Mk2, how the Mk1 sounds with Mk2 earpads, how the Mk2 sounds with Mk1 earpads, how the Mk2 sounds with the port covered...

I posted this over on HF but it deserves to be here as well. I've had my issues with the new SR-007 ever since I got them and ever since I opened them up I've wanted to try and eliminate the damned midbass hump. This morning I ripped them apart and plugged the port with some blutack and my predictions proved correct. The midbass hump is completely gone and the excelent bass of the Mk1 has appeared which is leaner but extends all the way down towards DC. The A/Mk2 has a light coloration on all male voices and it's mostly gone now but it's so recording dependent and subtle that further testing is needed. The port was put into the cable assembly to combat the fart issue if the Mk1 so once it's plugged the ear chamber is airtight and they fart just like the Mk1. Some further testing with foam and felt is needed to try and find a middle ground by damping the port instead of just shutting it completely. Anybody who has replaced an earpad on a SR-007 knows how much of a pain that is and dong it once can drive somebody mad let alone dozen or so times... :o

Further testing is needed to show just how different the Mk1 and Mk2/A are after the mod but the added comfort of the new ear and headpads place the Mk2/A ahead if they sound roughly the same. The earpads are rather different so I don't expect the two phones to sound identical but they should be close.

Why don't you just listen to the Mk1 instead of making the Mk2 to sound like them?

It's excellent headphone. Yes, the bass is not linear - the hump in the midbass is followed by a drop in the deeper bass. Also I feel some "headphony" coloration on the female vocals, not the male ones but it's a question of construction of the earpads I suspect.

And these observations are not absolutely objective but only comparison with the other headphone i use - k701.

So I'll give a chance to Mk2 by listening them for some time. Maybe the next time I use k701 I'll feel a drop in the midbass, a hump i the deeper one and unnatural "airy" female vocals ;D

Great job with finding the port!! I tried taking off the earpads but did not want to disassemble it further...

Thanks, beyond the pads it does get a bit trickier. The port can be plugged without separating the earcup from the arc but there might be some leak and I decided to do it properly. I will probably post a how to guide though some fucktard like markl might try to make it his own... ::)

Why don't you just listen to the Mk1 instead of making the Mk2 to sound like them?

It's excellent headphone. Yes, the bass is not linear - the hump in the midbass is followed by a drop in the deeper bass. Also I feel some "headphony" coloration on the female vocals, not the male ones but it's a question of construction of the earpads I suspect.

And these observations are not absolutely objective but only comparison with the other headphone i use - k701.

So I'll give a chance to Mk2 by listening them for some time. Maybe the next time I use k701 I'll feel a drop in the midbass, a hump i the deeper one and unnatural "airy" female vocals ;D

I'm not doing this for me, rather the community as a whole, as I already have a mk1. The bottom line is that the Mk2/A simply isn't good enough to be a replacement for the Mk1 and the SR-?. Having the option to perform a simple, totally reversible, mod to make them sound as good as the mk1 is good for those that can't find a used unit.

BTW at this point (about 120-140h maybe) I find a big change just in this "problematic" midbass area of my Omega Mk2 - this bass decreased a lot till now. There is not a change in its quality (for better or worse) but only the above metnioned hump is not so impressive as it was at first.

BTW at this point (about 120-140h maybe) I find a big change just in this "problematic" midbass area of my Omega Mk2 - this bass decreased a lot till now. There is not a change in its quality (for better or worse) but only the above metnioned hump is not so impressive as it was at first.

hump.jpg

I definitely hear a drop off in the deep bass on the O2 MkII, but not the bump in the midbass. But, my source is somewhat bass-deficient with a drop-off in the deep bass as well, and my amp is slightly bright. Not a good combination for bass prowess.

I've moved away from silver cables with the rig in its current state, as they are just too damn bright. Copper brings the mids and highs into balance but the lessened clarity is noticeable. Silver does give things a lot more "wow" factor and a certain shimmer to the instruments, but the tone is unnatural. Copper is more restrained and more subtle but the tone is right. That definitely wasn't the case with the HD650, but the O2 MkII is a good bit brighter naturally (but also more fluid at the same time).

So, more experimentation is needed (and a new source). I'm definitely interested in seeing how Spritzer's mod works out. I doubt I'd mind the squealing much, the SR-003 squeals when its fit is adjusted and it doesn't bother me. The O2 takes a lot of fussing around initially to get the fit right but once it's in place it tends to stay in place.

P.S. DBT my ass. The difference between the two cables is incredible. Rather, the O2's ability to show this difference is incredible; I haven't heard another headphone that's so revealing to a simple IC change.

P.S. DBT my ass. The difference between the two cables is incredible. Rather, the O2's ability to show this difference is incredible; I haven't heard another headphone that's so revealing to a simple IC change.

It's still the only reliable way of removing all bias from a test.

Just got my Lambda's today with SRD-7/sb. I have it hooked up to a spare Accurian amp and it sounds pretty nice. Great details and soundstage. This is my first pair of Stax and was wondering if there are any good tips or just general information to know. Thanks! :)

Just got my Lambda's today with SRD-7/sb. I have it hooked up to a spare Accurian amp and it sounds pretty nice. Great details and soundstage. This is my first pair of Stax and was wondering if there are any good tips or just general information to know. Thanks! :)

Since the diaphragm holds a charge I've always tried to store them in as close to dust free environment as possible. So I put them away in a box or a case.

I definitely hear a drop off in the deep bass on the O2 MkII, but not the bump in the midbass. But, my source is somewhat bass-deficient with a drop-off in the deep bass as well, and my amp is slightly bright. Not a good combination for bass prowess.

I've moved away from silver cables with the rig in its current state, as they are just too damn bright. Copper brings the mids and highs into balance but the lessened clarity is noticeable. Silver does give things a lot more "wow" factor and a certain shimmer to the instruments, but the tone is unnatural. Copper is more restrained and more subtle but the tone is right. That definitely wasn't the case with the HD650, but the O2 MkII is a good bit brighter naturally (but also more fluid at the same time).

So, more experimentation is needed (and a new source). I'm definitely interested in seeing how Spritzer's mod works out. I doubt I'd mind the squealing much, the SR-003 squeals when its fit is adjusted and it doesn't bother me. The O2 takes a lot of fussing around initially to get the fit right but once it's in place it tends to stay in place.

The silver's quality is a huge factor as is the insulation. Soft or age annealed silver wire, small gauge (28AWG+) and solid core has worked best for me so far and I can't see any reason to start upgrading. Making you own cables is easy and allows you to use the exact same stuff inside the components.

I'll post some pictures of the mod when I have time but it might have to wait until the weekend.

The charge actually helps to repel dust, though, since most dust is positively charged.

I think the figure is close to 90% of dust particles are positively charged but you only need one to mess up the drivers. :-\

Yes, the bass is not linear - the hump in the midbass is followed by a drop in the deeper bass. Also I feel some "headphony" coloration on the female vocals, not the male ones but it's a question of construction of the earpads I suspect.

You're saying the SR-007 Mk2's bass is not linear by comparing it to the K701?

Haha, hahahaha!