The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

What's up with the ultra small space constraints? Is it just the price of UK real estate?

Especially in London!

Besides, that one was for my bedroom and I wanted to have it on my bedside table.

On top of that I was renting/moving quite a lot by then and it is not great to carry big amps around.

Sorry, could someone point me to that particular place that was one of the first selling the new O2s? It was mentioned in this thread a couple of times, some picture was taken from the site, and there was even a link for it but I've been looking in lots of pages (sort of random order, but for sure more than half of the 100) and I couldn't find it. I was wondering what would be a good place for getting them if I decide to go for the black new ones.

Thanks in advance. A search wouldn't help much here as I don't remember the name of the shop and in any case the search feature would only giving me back the tittle of this thread.

Did I mention I hate long threads? Specially the interesting ones that I can't afford dismissing. :P Really hard to retrieve information afterwards.

Especially in London!

Besides, that one was for my bedroom and I wanted to have it on my bedside table.

On top of that I was renting/moving quite a lot by then and it is not great to carry big amps around.

Grin, I forget where Rob N lives but given that he has like 5 gigantor singlepower amps I gotta assume his living space must be like a sauna but perhaps he doesn't live in London I forget.

Grin, I forget where Rob N lives but given that he has like 5 gigantor singlepower amps I gotta assume his living space must be like a sauna but perhaps he doesn't live in London I forget.

He doesn't live in London and he has quite a lot of space, closer to usual american standards.

Woohoo! Looking forward to impressions Nate.

Yeah, me too. Unfortunately I may have come upon a semi-pressing purchase that needs to be made which will require the liquidation of one of the stat rigs. Given that I don't have jack for time to sit down and listen to either of them in the near future I'm stuck with the quandary of which to keep. The all Stax rig is pretty elegant in the simplicity of it but seems to me that the general consensus is that the Koss phones might scale better. :confused:

SR-Ω/007 hybrid in the house and playing on my head. ;D Being the OCD nutcase I am I completely disassembled them and took pictures which I will post later. The old drivers look to be in perfect condition but that means nothing as a fraction of a millimeter is all it takes to fuck them up. I will work on them when I have time but I will most likely keep them as spares if I do manage to find out what is wrong with the broken one.

The new drivers are SR-007A units and not the old ones. Stax had left the cable cutout open so there was a massive opening for the drivers to went. Knowing that I don't like the SR-007A with the port open, I plugged it with some blutack but might try them later with it open. The seal isn't perfect but the SR-Ω design never had any squeal issues so I just left it at that. This set has a new arc assembly (the S/N sticker is in the wrong place, a dead give away) as well as new-ish earpads.

As for the sound then my impressions will be crippled by the lack of a Blue Hawaii to test them with. My old unit has gone back to Justin and the BHSE isn't ready yet let alone my DIY one. A quick listen out of the computer rig shows them to be quite similar to the SR-007 though less focused. Bass is impressive out of the SRM-1 and and only a smidgen of blur at pretty loud levels playing very bass heavy music. The top end is extended but the amp is clearly holding them back here so I will reserve any judgment. The midrange is excellent as is to be expected and the soundstage is similar to my other SR-Ω though smaller.

I must say I always found the HE90 extremely comfortable, if at the max extension for me. I have quite a big head. You could think it might have something to do with having a big brain and a superior mind and intelligence.

You would be wrong, though. :sadcat:

I big head is only good when you are just shy of 2m like me and keep knocking it into things. :(

Time for some pics:

Here are my two SR-Ω, stock one on the Stax stand and the hybrid on my crappy DIY stand.

img1694dj4.th.jpg

img1697xi7.th.jpg

img1698in8.th.jpg

Earpad removed

img1685rcp1.th.jpg

This is with the earpads removed as well as the aluminum screen. The brass spacer are actually two units, used here to add tension to the drive sandwich and to close off the earcup. These used to hold the dust covers on the old drivers.

img1682yu5.th.jpg

A close up of the cable cutout. Stax just left it like this, creating a port to the other side of the driver. This is just sloppy work hence the second picture.

img1683lu4.th.jpg

img1687pw9.th.jpg

Here is the driver connection. The original drivers have lead wires for the stators and some sort of a clamp for the bias.

img1688mp7.th.jpg

img1692ig4.th.jpg