Audeze LCD-2

swt61

There is a planar thread on AA and someone has measured their grand hitting 120 db at the peaks in their room. Followed by the usual postings about how electrostats aren't suitable for loud classical.

Either their meter or piano is messed up, and so are their ears. I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion on anything hearing related when they admit to listening to 120 dB peaks. If they are part of an orchestra, that can be a different story.

How am I wrong about the second part? Based on a tongue in cheek post about the ipod driving the Audeze?

Yes. Someone who knows what they're talking about would not have written that post.

Either their meter or piano is messed up, and so are their ears. I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion on anything hearing related when they admit to listening to 120 dB peaks. If they are part of an orchestra, that can be a different story.

Yes. Someone who knows what they're talking about would not have written that post.

I'll try and find the thread, but he did admit to hearing loss and his average playing levels were unsafe.

I need to look at the output levels for ipods, but maybe they are capable of "playing" (driving was the wrong word?) an Audeze at 100 db albeit riddled with distortion and sounding like crap. I still didn't see it as a serious post, I guess only jcx knows.

i don't mean to turn this into an op-amp rolling dork-fest, but if you're concerned about the M3 being too warm with the LCD-2, the OPA627 are supposedly warmer sounding than the default AD8610. i've only tried the AD8610 and AD8065, with a preference for the AD8610.

x2 on the AD8610. They were the fastest, most neutral and transparent opamps of the ones I had for the M^3 (OPA637, OPA627, AD8065, AD843).

Oh he's driving alright... me to nerd rage. Its like talking to that thick headed know it all kid in elementary school. You're wrong. Am not. Are too. Am not. Are too. Mom, kw's being an asshat again! =)

not cool, kwkarth is my brother-in-law. he's a good father to my nieces.

Actually, anyone who thinks kwkarth is an asshat is probably preadapted for being successful at head case, so welcome. Heard both but only own the O2 right now so can't do a good comparison but the LCD2 is very good out of the BA. It will have to end up being superb to beat the O2/BHSE though. So we will see.

Edited by morphsci

I started following the LCD-2 thread over there and my god is it full of shit. I gave jcx a hard time for being a dickhead here, but wtf is this:

Don't make your opinions sound like facts. Aftermarket cables do have a marked effect on the LCD-2's sound according to those who've used them.

Some impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491564/audeze-lcd2-with-alo-lux-fep-18awg-cable

I clicked on the link, and found interesting statements such as this, from who else but our trusty bus driver:

Figuratively, what was only 3D becomes 4D if I can get away with using that expression.

Because obviously he knows what listening in 4D sounds like "figuratively." Gotta have that 18AWG ALO cable, makes everything sound moar betterer with the bigger basses and the moar dimensions.

You know, the ladies sometimes describe my hand as a velvet hammer, I'm beginning to think maybe it is wired with 18AWG ALO cable.

It's true, reading HF is bad for my health. I was trying to look up stuff on the SR-001 Mk2 yesterday and then look what happened, started reading other stuff and ended up like the above pic. Been 4ish months since the last time I legitimately checked HF.

not cool. head-fi is my uncle. he is a good father to my cousinz.

Ah. That makes more sense, what you said earlier seemed to imply something else totally.

yeah, especially since they haven't gotten back to me about my LCD-1 "upgrade" since we chatted right before CanJam. Then again, I bought the K1K and don't have the cash right now, but that's beside the point.