Audeze LCD-2

swt61

Is there any other kind?

Congrats on the LCD-2s. Enjoy them.

I may have slipped a digit on my R10's way back when, as well. I think they cost $260.00, if memory serves.

Actually, headphones are pretty easy to bring back on return flights because you can always pass them off as something you were traveling with (same for your laptop, camera, camcorder, a new cell phone, watch, Kindle, iPod, etc.). I think, to a great degree, there is an unwritten 'rule of reason' that comes into play, and you have to show respect for that. Don't try it with a BluRay player, for instance.

Clothes are generally Ok as well, but the other day I brought in 10 new bath towels and 10 new large hand towels. By declaring all of that (for $140), I was able to divert attention from my massive Slappa 600 CD/DVD/BluRay carrying (suit)case which was nearly full with all sorts of new stuff that they could have tried to assess import duty on.

I do that all the time too, thankfully I've never been asked a question.

I also gift wrap, separate into different luggage, bring with carry-on, if I want to keep the box, I just unfold it and put it at the bottom of the luggage, then wrap the player with towels.

I do that all the time too, thankfully I've never been asked a question.

I also gift wrap, separate into different luggage, bring with carry-on, if I want to keep the box, I just unfold it and put it at the bottom of the luggage, then wrap the player with towels.

The gift wrap thing doesn't work here because your duty free allowance only applies to items you bring in for your own consumption/enjoyment. The minute you tell them that you bought it for someone else, it's taxable. Likewise, it's never good to try to "hide" something by wrapping it in a towel, or the like. The minute they see that, they'll go through everything with a fine tooth comb, and write you up. You don't want to have an entry in "the book" with your name beside it!

I normally send CD/DVD/BluRay cases in bulk (several big boxes of them) via cargo once every year or two. In other words, I bring the discs in on return flights in my carrying case, but then just let the cases pile up for a while at my mom's house in Illinois, or in my motorhome. Then when I'm sending something else (like the big plasma TV that is on it's way now), I'll box up all of the empty cases and send them along as well. That way there is nothing of value to declare - just empty cases.

The idea with the towel wrapping is not to hide it but to protect it, at the same time making it look like it's used. Like you said, you can't hide anything from customs anywhere, and you most definately do not want to be on anyone's book. :D

I guess customs are more restrictive where you're located. It's not unusual for people here to fly to Miami, buy all they want, then come back in the afternoon, and pay nothing at customs.

Republic of Panama :)

Oh, cool. Still on my wish list of travel destinations. Cayman Airways used to do charter trips to Panama, usually right before Christmas. It was quite popular, but both the cargo hold and the overhead storage bins would get overstuffed with all sorts of packages that people came back with. It was a massive shopping fest. So I think they stopped going there for a while. Not sure if that ever resumed or not.

Oh, cool. Still on my wish list of travel destinations. Cayman Airways used to do charter trips to Panama, usually right before Christmas. It was quite popular, but both the cargo hold and the overhead storage bins would get overstuffed with all sorts of packages that people came back with. It was a massive shopping fest. So I think they stopped going there for a while. Not sure if that ever resumed or not.

hahaha, there probably are some charter flights still available, and yeah most people come here for the shopping, excessive amounts of shopping.

If you have plans of coming down, make sure you book for the winter months when it doesn't rain so much! :D

Ah nice b-day present. Looking forward to your impressions as I just placed my order last week. Mind if I ask how long they took?

Ric, I just looked back at the emails. I ordered my pair on August 1st and got the tracking number today, so figure a little over 2 months. Seems that Alex has more or less caught up with the backlog.

From what I read today, the external design of their headphone isn't finished. (But they have a working prototype.) How much will you pay for yours?

I have been talking to Transmission Audio about these ribbon headphones for about a year now. They would have been out all ready if they would not have gotten a huge commercial contract that they just finished. We should be hearing some new news any day. I have been promised the first pair and can not wait to get my hands on them. I am hoping they really blow me away. I have not talked to them in a couple of weeks so I will write an email when I get home to see where they stand. I really believe they will be on the market before Christmas. I am hoping to have my pair before Thanksgiving if all goes well.

Chris

They are seriously nice. A little more subdued in the upper mids/top than the pants and the bass goes just as deep. They did a very good job on them indeed. Tight clamp but not uncomfortable. Once the pads loosen up a bit they'll be really nice to wear all day. Vocals are simply amazing in their presentation... sibilance is totally non-existent. They don't shout, boom, or do anything bad as far as I've been able to tell. They are just there. Quite an achievement.

Finally got a chance to hear these at a meet today. Geez. Talk about FOTM. I think there were at leats 10 pairs there. But I pretty much agree with Smeggy on their sound ane really liked them. I think they sounded better with tubes than SS, but that's always difficult to tell what with weird output impedances, etc. Me like-em.

I wonder if anyone here has had Audeze modify the cable when purchasing? I’m planning on asking them to give mine a 4 pin XLR termination. I trust they’re able to do this easily.

I thought I’d ask about it here first, before bugging Audeze about it. They must be busy enough as it is.

I wonder if anyone here has had Audeze modify the cable when purchasing? I’m planning on asking them to give mine a 4 pin XLR termination. I trust they’re able to do this easily.

I thought I’d ask about it here first, before bugging Audeze about it. They must be busy enough as it is.

I asked about getting another cable terminated with two 3 pin XLR and the price was $90. At purchase, not sure.

I asked about getting another cable terminated with two 3 pin XLR and the price was $90. At purchase, not sure.

I asked both Alex and Sankar several times if I could get my LCD-2's terminated with two 3-pin XLR instead of the standard termination. They didn't respond to my repeated requests until AFTER my headphones were shipped. I was told twice now that Alex would send me a Paypal invoice for the balanced cable but I have yet to get a invoice. I guess these guys are really busy.

LCD-2 is definitely my all time favourite rock can. Just wish they would tighten up their build process. My first pair had visible damage and driver damage, second pair is less obvious but got two left ear pads and the screw that keeps the ear from going 360 degrees isn't set so... its spins :palm: Sankar has been great about dealing with the problems but really shouldn't be any especially on the replacement pair.

My mini review: these are some seriously good headphones!

Really liking the LCD-2. Enjoying them too much to start trying to pick them apart. I'm sure that day will come though. Kind of inevitable in this hobby.

I am loving my pair also! Have yet to find an amp they don't sound good out of.

They might be the FOTM but what a wonderful flavor.....yummm

I agree with some of the comments on build quality. I was a little dissapointed in the woodwork on my pair. They sound heavenly though so I can't complain too much.