Audeze LCD-2

swt61

The way I see it "great improvement" with cable change is purely change in the perception. I am yet to hear a difference when re-cabling orthos, unless the original cable was pure crap with rusted contacts.

That has been my experience too.

The cable I made for my friend( who owns the LCD-2 ) was because the original cable was rather heavy & clumsy. Its a simple Belden 1172a mini starquad cable, nothing fancy.My friend reported that he noticed slight improvement on highs with the new cable but he was more impressed that the new cable was flexible & light.

@DAC : you seem to be pretty used to heavier cables. The cable on your erstwhile HP50 was just as clumsy !

I thought I understood Orthos, but I guess I'm wrong if I understand this statement correctly. I thought it was similar to a dynamic headphone, only instead of a voice coil, the diaphragm was between two layers of magnets (I.E. orthogonally from the traditional dynamic driver).

For example.

Traditional dynamic driver has voice coils, basically an electromagnet in magnetic field. Othodynamic diaphragm has traces, they are technically not voice coils, and is suspend in between two magnets depending on the charge it flaps between them. When coils of wire are bobbing up and down in the filed generated by magnets they are dragging cones or domes along with them, when they return back to the original position they generate an electric impulse that travels back to the amp.The bigger the coil/magnet the strong the impulse, that is when cable and damping factor come into great importance. With orthos this does not happen in this way they are more like stats.

And since the voice coil is basically an inductor you've got rising impedance with respect to frequency. And since the voice coil is also like a spring, you've got a major amplitude deviation in impedance at the resonant frequency, which aren't in orthos.
I think this was the part I was missing...these were the parts...So thanks, both to you and the others.

IMO the ALO cable did sound noticeably worse, so much so that I'm assuming Ken's soldering job was about the same level of crap as the old ALO dock I once bought years back. Because I agree that I've not noticed a lot of difference between cables in Ortho headphones.

IMO the ALO cable did sound noticeably worse, so much so that I'm assuming Ken's soldering job was about the same level of crap as the old ALO dock I once bought years back. Because I agree that I've not noticed a lot of difference between cables in Ortho headphones.

Are you sure the phase wasn't flipped in one channel?

got this 'while back & was hoping someone else was gonna post it:rolleyes:...haven't had any issues, but it's nice of them to take preemptive measures...

Hi,

Your LCD-2 was in one of the batches where there is a chance that the plastic blocks on the headband might need to be replaced.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please confirm the receipt of this email by sending us a reply.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are preparing the shipments for the replacement blocks.

If there is a change in shipping address, let us know and we will ship it to the new address.

Faq-

Do I need to replace the blocks, even if I do not have any issues ?

No. Many of these are good and don't have to be replaced. But we will send you the blocks, so you can have a spare set anyway.

How will I know if the plastic blocks have to be replaced ?

If you see hairline cracks in the plastic blocks, the blocks need to be replaced.

The plastic blocks that are potentially problematic have rounded corners and the letters R or L etched on them. (Not all of them have this issue).

lcd2.png

Audeze Support

[email protected]

Edited by emelius
fixed image link...

The stock cable is a bit clumsy and heavy. That's my only complaint with it. (And it's easy to change.... it's just not annoying enough at the moment....)

That is it. I would like it to be more flexible and to be less in the way, but it's not like AOL cable is ergonomically better...

That's one of the reasons I decided on the new Silver Dragon which is thinner and more flexible. The weight of the ALO cable put me off a bit.

As long as the stock wires continue to carry electrickery I'll stick with them.

Anyway, onto other orfoses... I been offered a straight trade of a HE-6 for a set of pants. Any opinions on whether it'd be worthwhile doing it? I have little real clue what the he-6 sounds like and I'm not sure I really care but thought I'd ask. Given that pants and the LCD2 are my thing I'm not sure the 6 would really suit me from the little I have read, I am still a tiny bit curious.

Anyway, onto other orfoses... I been offered a straight trade of a HE-6 for a set of pants. Any opinions on whether it'd be worthwhile doing it? I have little real clue what the he-6 sounds like and I'm not sure I really care but thought I'd ask. Given that pants and the LCD2 are my thing I'm not sure the 6 would really suit me from the little I have read, I am still a tiny bit curious.

Based on your sonic tastes, I'm not sure the HE-6 would be a good match for you; but you'd have no problem selling them to get your money out of them if you don't like them.

Well, not really sure about your listening preferences, but I managed to get quite a bit of head-time at canjam with the LCD and 2 sets of your TPs(Steve's and Colin's). I didn't care at all for the LCD but loved the TP's on both my rig and Justin's Headamp table. I just sent the loaner HE-6 back after listening for 2 weeks and I miss them. Fang told me in a PM that the new production version wouldn't need as much of an amp as the loaner did. He offered to sell them(the loaner) to me for a discount, and had I had some spare change I would have taken them without a second thought. Very neutral and clear to me, if perhaps just a tad bit rolled off at the upper end of the spectrum, and just a little bit dark in my rig, which I like.

Ah...after rereading the post a couple of times, I think oqvist meant that he would cut off the jack at the end of his stock cable and wire it to his speaker amp. I was thinking that he meant he was going to take it apart to find out what was inside.

FYI though, it's the Canare 4S6 Canare Corp.: Speaker Cable-Star Quad: speaker Cable - star quad(4S6)

The HE6 sounds amazing, especially in the treble area, but the poor imaging really bugged me after a while. I think I can live with a darker treble (LCD2) rather than a disjointed sound (HE6).