Audeze LCD-2

swt61

I am loving my pair also! Have yet to find an amp they don't sound good out of.

They might be the FOTM but what a wonderful flavor.....yummm

I agree with some of the comments on build quality. I was a little dissapointed in the woodwork on my pair. They sound heavenly though so I can't complain too much.

I assume that you keep your audio gear under lock and key while in Jamaica. I've known people from Jam who've had their grandmothers steal from them, and I'm not kidding about that. Of course, there are good areas too...

I assume that you keep your audio gear under lock and key while in Jamaica. I've known people from Jam who've had their grandmothers steal from them, and I'm not kidding about that. Of course, there are good areas too...

Oh HELL YES everything in Jamaica stays locked up with a Guard. Luckily I trust my best friend over there with my life....heck my children's life. My stuff is in Kempshot Jamaica which is a little tiny community in the hills about 20 miles South of Montego Bay. Almost no crime. But damn if I haven't been in places I am scared to leave my car. Heck scared to get out of my car......! We own 1/3rd of a Studio in New Kingston but there are parts of Kingston that look worse than a war zone in Iraq. I will not even go with out a guide from the area. Gangs control all of the ghettos and if you don't have a member of that affiliation with you, you might not come back out! I have been in some pretty tense situations. BUT......I still love my Island! There are parts that are so peaceful and beautiful! I love spending time in Treasure Beach on the South Coast. My kids spend time on the beach alone and I don't even think twice about it. I guess it is just like any third world country.

I would love to show you my Jamaica. I know you love reggae as much as me. I could really show you that world and you could meet any reggae star young or old that you would like. Bunny Wailer is my partners neighbor. He drives the ugliest gold car, everything is gold colored from the rims to the trim.....GROSS and so tacky but so very Jamaican. An open invitation to you anytime I am there.

Respect

Chris

Oh HELL YES everything in Jamaica stays locked up with a Guard.

<snip>

Respect

Chris

That would be a blast to meet up with you in Jamaica sometime. I've been to Beres Hammond's house in Stoney Hill. Would love to get to know the country better. I've been there 4 or 5 times, and always with Jamaican friends, and so far so good. I haven't run into a bit of trouble but you really do need to be careful where you go.

I’ve had a pair of LCD-2s for about two weeks now. Here are some thoughts:

It was great to discover that they don’t need the kind of power some people have claimed. Driven by my Pico DAC/amp, they sound almost as good as they do from my DA10/Beta22. Differences in upstream component signature are evident, but they’re probably as resolving and well balanced out of the Pico. That makes them around the house portable, a fantastic bonus.

I don’t find them problematically dark. But I can imagine those used to a bump around 7 kHz might.

Some reviews on head-fi conclude the HD-800s to be more detailed than the LCD-2s. In my experience, the K1000s and HD800s are amazingly close in terms of detail retrieval (minus the K1000 bass roll off). The JH-13s are a step above both, exposing a grainy veil that all dynamics probably suffer from. The LCD-2 are another step up, outperforming the JH-13s. I can peer even deeper into a mix. Every texture is a little clearer, every complexity a little better parsed out.

I find them extremely comfortable, but my head is very small. Most headphones fall off too easily.

Their build quality appears excellent to my eyes. I may be benefiting from having waited until late August before ordering though. The few issues I read about seem to have been sorted out on my pair.

The LCD-2s have exceeded my expectations so far. They’re better in every meaningful way than any other headphones I’ve heard thus far (no stats yet). I’m still waiting to get an XLR terminating cable to hear if it adds any additional benefit. I’ll report back if and when that happens.

The small soundstage and relative absence of treble boost make the JH-13s less overt with detail than most phones. But once my brain sunk into them and accepted that little headstage, I found I was hearing high frequency synthetic textures in some of my own mixes that were more obscure with the K1000s. But for all I know, with the right speaker amp, those textures would be better clarified on the K1Ks, even if a wee bit grainy. I guess I'll never know, as I sold them to fund the LCD-2 purchase. While I'm happy with the trade off, I'll surely miss that amazingly vast horizontal soundstage. They were fun as hell to listen to.

I'm curious to hear what you think of the LCD-2s on your system Blessingx.

Original price + what they paid for shipping + taxes they paid + shipping.

No deal here, unless they want a trade.

:asshat:

you're an idiot. "original price" was an amazing deal to begin with, for a handcrafted product of that caliber. Decent folk have been upcharging from the original cost and handing that "profit" back to Smeggy, where it belongs.

Thanks to the generosity of Shelly, I was able to spend several hours listening to the LCD2 on my rig yesterday. Very impressive. The detail and clarity are in the HD800 class, and the bass is very satisfying. Admittedly, I have very little experience with orthos, but I had never heard one with such a full sound (i.e. enough bass).

My main complaint is comfort. The stock cable (I guess this one is stock?) is a good candidate for an upgrade, and the weight combined with some clamping makes you very aware of having something on your head. Still, I could probably put up with it for the sound quality. It's definitely a keeper.

Thanks, Shelly! I'll get them back to you soon.

Shelly, do you think you might be able to make it to the Dallas HF meet this January? No date yet, but usually one of the last 2 Saturdays of the month. Would be great to hear your LCD-2 along side my HE-6 I'll be ordering this week, as well as your other phones.

Ken: Glad to hear you are enjoying them. The stock cable is a real PITA especially if you are putting your head forward. I don't mind the weight and the clamping is just perfect for me (most other cans fall off my head). So don't stretch them out with your big fat head! :)

I hope to be able to make it to the Dallas meet in January but have know idea what my schedule will look like for that weekend at this point. I will definitely bring the LCD-2 if I go.

Ken: Glad to hear you are enjoying them. The stock cable is a real PITA especially if you are putting your head forward. I don't mind the weight and the clamping is just perfect for me (most other cans fall off my head). So don't stretch them out with your big fat head! :)

LOL, yes ma'am!

Yes, I noticed the cable bumps my chest when I lean forward. However, it is handy to wake me up when I nod off.