Audeze LCD-2

swt61

It might be too early anyway to make any conclusions about LCD-2 vs the O2. The LCD-2 is still only a few weeks old. Who knows what monster amplifiers crazy people might build for the LCD-2 a bit later in the game?

True. The O2 is so much older and all possible amps for it are completely exhausted at this point. Who knows what new and innovated analog design might come along next for the LCD-2, we need more people on this intractable problem!

With all this stat ortho raving going on now, what is it going to look like when transmission audio release their ribbon ear speaker ?

transmissionaudionearspeaker.jpg

..dB

Transmission audio promises that....

"....it has also been possible to develop a full ribbon headphone with performance parameters that are equal to or surpass the best electrostatic headphones at a fraction of the price."

Lunatique's posts from this one onwards, if you're up for a lot of reading from the perspective of a music producer (and ignore any noise in between his posts) are pretty interesting. I think we've fairly hit the point where most things about them have been covered and people are just going around in circles now anyway (on HF that is).

We need Transmission Audio to pull off ribbon earphones now so there is something else to go hypo about. ;)

When I communicated with RAAL about their prototype, I got this in response:

Thank you very much for the links, but my amp needs to drive a short circuit, as the ribbon impedance is just 0.018 Ohms, plus cables. Also, it must be proprietary, as there would be no sense in using other circuits that what will be developed here.
I'm not sure if that extrapolates to all ribbons, though.

It may seem silly, but after seeing ribbon tweeters theorized to have encountered an ultrasonic signal not caught by a high-pass filter which then caused them to combust and shoot flames, I worry a little about putting them on my head; don't really want to look like my profile pic.

pffft Scott no pain no gain

I have been talking to Transmission Audio about these ribbon headphones for about a year now. They would have been out all ready if they would not have gotten a huge commercial contract that they just finished. We should be hearing some new news any day. I have been promised the first pair and can not wait to get my hands on them. I am hoping they really blow me away. I have not talked to them in a couple of weeks so I will write an email when I get home to see where they stand. I really believe they will be on the market before Christmas. I am hoping to have my pair before Thanksgiving if all goes well.

Chris

Well the push-pull nature of the planars should make it less important but the large diaphragms do need a lot of damping so lets just say damping factor is important. :)

First; damping factor has virtually nothing to do with sound on the LCD-2. As a planar magnetic driver, it's diaphragm does not rely upon nor can it be affected by damping factor. Current delivery is what the LCD-2 relies upon.

Spritzer, I just had to look up your post since distinctly remember reading somewhere that damping factor has an effect at the very least :)