i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Welcome to the wonderful world of transistors, here one day and gone tomorrow... :palm:

Over the years so many useful devices have just vanished. Dangerously unprotected MOSFETs from Siliconix that were essential in certain CCD designs - long dead (came with a wire clip shorting the leads together. Solder in and then remove clip). Sensible dual FET's like the 2SK389/2SL109 - dead. Now pretty much the only 900V PNP - dead.

Next on the death list will be components with leads, with surface mount being the only game in town.

Lead free solder? A complete sham, which subject I can wax lyrical on at length. One audio manufacturer I know has a reel of lead free solder on the bench for audit purposes, and then uses Wonder Solder or some such leaded solder in building the gear.

Don't even get me started on the name change game - Hitachi to Renesas, Motorola to ONsemi, HP to Agilent to Avago. Without even considering the number of useful products that have gone the way of dust as a result of Vishay's quest to own every brand going - then doing "product rationalisation".

<soap box mode> = "off"

They will all work well for the front end, it's not picky in terms of Idss. I'm guessing Kevin won't support the Toshiba parts on his PCB, so that leaves the Linear Systems parts. I believe the A parts show less noise. There was an article in AudioExpress than confirms this, if my memory holds.

the article i read in audioxpress was called "Noise Measurements of the LSK389B Dual JFET" ;)

Welcome to the wonderful world of transistors, here one day and gone tomorrow... :palm:

One of the major reasons I don't use them in audio circuits. I find it ironic that it's often easier to source a 1920's tube than a 1990's transistor. The tubes don't blow up either. A transistor is a switch, a tube an audio device , let each do it's thing.

are the through holes for the transformer/volume pot/etc a certain standard distance apart? i ask to see if those hand terminal blocks could be used (ones which get soldered on to the board and the wires get screwed into the block. after having to solder and desolder and solder and desolder and solder and desolder again and again while using the wrong fuse (needed to use slow blow in stead of the supplied fast blow with the crack amp...) i really missed having those screw on things. just a little though in case the bom is still fluid. would help us noobs a lot while troubleshooting. if it is more of a personal preference then i wouldnt mind being told what exactly the thing is called so i can start looking for it.

The pot is simply added between the input terminals on the chassis and the input terminals on the board, just like it is on the Crack you built. I would recommend a 4 gang pot and XLR inputs even if you are using SE only since these can be a pain to add later on.

If you want to have both XLR/RCA inputs then you need to have a switch to ground the - part of the amp when running it SE (XLR/RCA adapters do this already so no need to worry about it). I for one use a 4PDT ON-ON switch on my amps so the two inputs are isolated from one another but you can just use a 2PDT switch if you do not want that. There is also the option of using bridging pins as you can see on many power amps.

• Like 1