i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

How much voltage is the transformer putting out? If it runs too hot then it might develop a short and boom, way too much voltage for the parts.

the 450v windings are putting out 506v unloaded, seems a tidge high, but nothing too bad. the 30v (CT) winding is putting out 34vac unloaded, again doesn't seem out of the ordinary

Yeah, that's not out of the ordinary but the true test is under load to to the heat rise. One thing I wouldn't rule out is a short on the board. One of my HV amp boards is going onto the trash heap since the PCB has a short somewhere.

Edited by spritzer

I wouldn't rule that out, as I spent roughly 30 hours of error testing on one of my B22 boards just to find out the board itself had a short... but I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that both the HV and LV supplies don't seem to be working :/

I guess what bothers me the most is that newbs who solder the transformer directly to the inlet with giant globs of cold joints and no heatshrink have working units on their first go :(

Edited by El_Doug

Good luck Doug. When you power up the new board, you can check each supply independently. Just the +/-15V, then just +HV, then just the -HV. If you can put each under load that would be a good thing as well.

I agree, that you should be looking for a failure condition that is common to the affected supplies.

As far as beginners luck goes, it only goes so far and then you need to learn how to debug these beasts. It's a great skill to have so as un-fun as it is to desolder parts, there is a reward to getting everything up and running again.

I took care to blow up my first power supply which lead to countless hours of research, etc. It was a good thing in retrospect. smile.png

Edited by Kerry

I am also pretty afraid of future shorts that may be caused by whatever reasons. As a precautionary measure, I cleaned the boards to deflux them. Infact after I did mine and I checked all the joints, I found a few cold solder joints and also a couple of unsoldered ones. I also wanted to remove potential shortings due to bridges caused by small pieces of solder. I use acetone (nail polish remover), followed by denatured alcohol to clean off the stickyness caused by the acetone.

Thanks, Kerry. Indeed, I knew from the schematic that the two supplies are literally separate circuits, and I only had the +/-15 hooked up to the transformer. I was actually afraid that I somehow destroyed the board by powering it separately, so I'm glad that wasn't my issue :D

I look forward to the learning process!

Good luck Doug. When you power up the new board, you can check each supply independently. Just the +/-15V, then just +HV, then just the -HV. If you can put each under load that would be a good thing as well.

I agree, that you should be looking for a failure condition that is common to the affected supplies.

As far as beginners luck goes, it only goes so far and then you need to learn how to debug these beasts. It's a great skill to have so as un-fun as it is to desolder parts, there is a reward to getting everything up and running again.

I took care to blow up my first power supply which lead to countless hours of research, etc. It was a good thing in retrospect. smile.png

I modified the kgsshv power supply and batepower boards for the next board run.

Bias is now a 3 pin connector, TST which is the 580v direct, 580V which is after the 5M resistor

and the ADJ which is the center of a resistor divider for any other voltage.

If you have a 10 meg input resistance dvm, then the correct voltage measured

after the 5M resistor would be 386V.

Edited by kevin gilmore