i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000ARU9PO

Pretty good price for the WES51d, which is more or less equivalent to the 936. I use the non digital version all the time at work and it does great, although I'm not typically using it to solder heatsinks there.

Thanks for that, picked it up. My first non-radio shack iron. Now I only have EVERYTHING else to get. Spritzer suggested the PS-900 but $250 vs $100 is a lot...

That's the one I have and I like it a lot.

650-700 is more than I used, did most of my T2 and KGSSHV at 580.

What solder did you use? I have recently been using Kester 44 and Kester recommends a 600-700 F temp for it. I took the halfway point of 650 and it seems to be fine. I haven't tried to solder a heatsink yet.

I use tin-lead solder with 2% silver. The lead-free solders all have too high a melting point for my liking, and make a dry-looking solder joint. Plus they are susceptible to tin whisker formation - particularly in high voltage gradients.

I notice that Cardas reckon that they have a lead-free solder that is eutectic, which implies that it should solidify without the dull grainy finish of regular lead-free solders - but I haven't tried the stuff.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000ARU9PO Pretty good price for the WES51d, which is more or less equivalent to the 936. I use the non digital version all the time at work and it does great, although I'm not typically using it to solder heatsinks there.

Yup, the WES51 is my iron of choice as well. When I upgraded from my 936 I wanted something with an auto-off function. I've never had any issues with the '51 not being able to provide enough heat.

Thanks for that, picked it up. My first non-radio shack iron. Now I only have EVERYTHING else to get. Spritzer suggested the PS-900 but $250 vs $100 is a lot...

Yeah that is quite a difference but it really is worth it. I do use my PS-800 more though but that's only because I'm too lazy to install a smaller tip on the 900... :)