Show Me Your ThunderPantses!

The Monkey

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Errhem, just to note, these were old cups that were lying around from an old project :P. So i am putting them to good use. And nope this is the original Commando LeakyPants.

Gary himself doesn't have great hopes for the LeakyPants project, but I have good hopes. Problem is actually getting everything else done....

Does anyone have a headband/fork harness I can use? It needs to accomodate cups that are about 100mm diameter (even if the forks can be stretched to do so)

Btw Gary they are exquisite looking.

.. PMB100 for it, which is probably bassless anyways despite the large driver. I have a spare set of Sr-X Mk3 drivers sitting around, maybe I'll have to ask the Smegster to turn some nice cups for me as well. :)

My Telefunken have deep bass and the PMB100 driver. I will send you the address for the SR-X 3. :P

..dB

Dammit, Kabs.

I thought I had put the holes in the cups for you.. I don't know where my brain has been lately. Sorry about that. Not sure how I missed it. :(

It's ok :P, looking for a cheap drill+bits now.

Also looking for a headband to accomodate this, my ideas of bending metal and drilling it, making my own custom design are out of the window now, way out of my league, I tried bending some metal and it came out a way ugly.

Ideally Id want something like the HE5 or LCD2 headband, but I dont picture them selling it to me...(especially at a low price)

yeah, the Original T50/nad etc. all work great but finding new 4" cup headbands is a problem. I want some myself.

How about something like this: Image:Pioneer SE-30 side.jpg - Wikiphonia

Slightly bend the forks to be circular instead of oblong, id guess theyd probably become like a NAD headband then? And loads of these kind of headphones pop up on auctions.

Then you can donate the leftover drivers to one of the big manufacturers to put in their high end dynamics :P.

Well this is the best idea I have so far...looking for alternatives.

• 3 months later...

Honestly Smeggy's creations don't require much maintenance. Just a dry dust rag from time to time should do the trick. His finishes are of the hard setting variety, unlike mineral oil and the like. Maybe a modified Tung oil, I'm not sure, but mine are easily kept, and I do know a little about wood finishes. :)

That's correct. The lacquer finish of the W1000 needs no maintenance other than dusting. In fact using a paste wax or oil on top of the lacquer will not yield good results, and could damage your finish. If the finish is getting dull from excessive wear and handling, then a good buffing with the proper compounds would be in order. That would be best left to the experts. Guitar restorers would be a great resourse.