ChiLiquiFi

Aura

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody needs to grab some of the Meyer lemons From the lobby and make a few of these tomorrow.

Last cocktail for tonight was an experiment inspired by Mike (Absorbine_Sr): The Headcase Sidecar

1oz Meyer Lemon Juice

1oz Cointreau

1oz Maison Surenne Petite Champagne Cognac

1oz Sazerac 18 Rye

Stir diligently and double strain into a stable cocktail glass (This a Head-Case cocktail after all)

I had to make due since I did not have any Meyer lemons and so mixed up 3 parts lemon juice to 1 part orange juice as a substitute.

IMAG0103.jpg

Damn tasty if I do say so myself. More complex than a traditional sidecar and it has that subtle Sazerac kick to it.

Then roll up your sleeves and make a bunch of these!

Nice!

So after my last Vieux Carre, I realized that the Sazerac 18 and the Maison Surrenne play very well together so I did a little more tweaking to the Sazerac recipe. I replaced the Jerry Thomas bitters with Fee Brothers and used a 1:1 mix of Sazerac 18 and cognac. As of today then:

1 1/2 oz Sazerac 18 Rye

1 1/2 oz Maison Surrenne Petite Champagne Cognac

1 1/2 rough cut sugar cubes

Peychaud bitters

Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

Herbsaint or Absinthe

Lemon Twist

Soak the sugar cubes with Peychaud bitters, add 1oz water and muddle until completely dissolved. Add rye and a dash plus of the aromatic bitters, add ice and stir. Add about 1/4oz herb saint to rocks glass and coat the inside surface. Pour out any excess. Strain the rye mixture into the glass and top with a robust lemon twist.

IMAG0115.jpg

Excellent. This makes a very smooth Sazerac. If you only want smooth, use all Sazerac 18. If you want it something with a bit more bite use something like the Black Maple Hill or Rittenhouse 100. Not ready to declare this the Head-Case Sazerac yet. Still have to determine if I prefer it with the Herbsaint or the Absinthe.

Well, I'll bring Sazerac 18, absinthe, Peychaud bitters, Maison Surrenne Cognac ... and even Jim's ex-girlfriend! :D

She was asking about you, Jim. She's disappointed you won't be there! :(

Can't find any Cointreau in the house. Should I pick up some on the way out tomorrow?