Is this a fair assesment?

Hordsak

I've been into mid hi-fi the last few years. I used to think my Logitech Z-5500's were the best things on the planet. Now, that I've gotten into decent headphones, I know the difference.

Would it be a fair assessment to say that cheap / entry level headphones turn everything into a blended / muddy mess? I've found with going up a little bit in the scale of equipment that my music listening experience has greatly increased, mainly because the you can pick out where the sounds come from, and it's separation etc. (as opposed to a grinded blend of sound)

How do you explain this to a friend that rocks ipod buds?

This is an honest post. I think that most people that appreaciate high fi, are people that have given it a chance. The majority of people, slap on a good set of cans or buds, and says "yeah so?"

I notice this with the majority of my friends. I do have a few however that appreciate good headphone audio.

Ah, you've arrived. Welcome.

Save your breath on your friends who don't get it. Really. You're in the right place now. I've wasted too much time hoping that some random friend or acquaintance would get it. They don't. And now that you know you know, just sit smug and have a good time.

• Like 1

Would it be a fair assessment to say that cheap / entry level headphones turn everything into a blended / muddy mess?

No, that's not a fair assessment. It's an over-generalization based on I-don't-know-what. Your music choice may well be to blame.

Let your friends like what they like, and don't be a ass about it. Speaking of, have you actually spent any real time reading what's on this website before jumping in? I have no idea why you started this thread.

Would it be a fair assessment to say that cheap / entry level headphones turn everything into a blended / muddy mess?

No, that's not a fair assessment. It's an over-generalization based on I-don't-know-what. Your music choice may well be to blame.

It really depends on how you define and pick your entry level phones. The Koss KSC-75, for example, are what I would consider an excellent entry level phone...... if there was ever a headphone apocalypse, I could probably be happy with a set of these. The Sennheiser HD515, on the other hand, is a lot more expensive but sounds like a steaming piece of crap - and I'm sure that there are a lot crappier entry level phones than even these.

I believe that there are two ways to get friends/family to understand HiFi. Either with something really energetic that pokes them directly in the brain (fatigue be damned!), or something with an insane soundstage. If they still don't hear it, then ignorance is bliss.

Wow, I just realized that you're the fool/troll from the AD2000 thread. This thread now makes sense. If you can stop posting for awhile on your own, maybe you're just slow, but can be an okay member. If you won't stop yourself, you're either a troll or a complete fool, and neither are welcome here. We'll see.

In my trolling, I was trying to fit in, as I did read the PM, and I was trying to have a thick skin so to speak, but maybe it was done in the wrong fashion. I want to be a contributing member. I'm not an abrasive person =)

Saying that, I just picked up a set of Denon D2000's yesterday, and I'm enjoying them. My source is not optimal (PC, Xfi out) but I plan on upgrading it around Christmas time to perhaps a Xonar. I'm not sure I'm ready yet to dump alot of cash onto a decent Dac.

I'm using a Glow Audio Amp One, but I want to get some new tubes in the next little bit. I think the stock Chinese tubes are not the best.

The Denons are now my 3rd set of cans, as I have Senn 595's, Audio Technica AD700's, and now the Denons. I may try some AKG's, or Shures next. Not sure where I'm at yet with Grado, as I've read they're quite in your face and not quite that comfortable.

The problem is, everyone here already knows what good headphones sound like. I can't name one member I know of that uses ipod earbuds. There's just no point to the thread; its akin to a bunch of guys standing around complaining about women.

Actually, I purchase around 12 pairs of iBuds each year and give them out to my employees for Christmas. My employees are a young hip crowd and I was informed a few years ago that fruitcakes and cheese balls are no longer in fashion as Christmas bonus gifts.

Do not waste your time and thread space here trying to evangelize your friends to what you think is "good" audio since you yourself may not have that answer. Leave them alone you are only trying to reinforcing your ego by doing otherwise. Lurk around here some more, learn, experiment and be happy in your own evolution which ever way that takes you. Good luck on your journey.

Edited by Augsburger
I wanted a cookie

seriously, if your pal isn't looking to upgrade then best to just leave him to have fun with what he likes. We're not into evangelizing or adopting the missionary line of trying to convert anyone because, frankly, we don't give a flying fuck. Also, no. Cheap doesn't always mean crap, sometimes it means less good but not necessarily bad.

I've been into mid hi-fi the last few years. I used to think my Logitech Z-5500's were the best things on the planet. Now, that I've gotten into decent headphones, I know the difference.

Would it be a fair assessment to say that cheap / entry level headphones turn everything into a blended / muddy mess? I've found with going up a little bit in the scale of equipment that my music listening experience has greatly increased, mainly because the you can pick out where the sounds come from, and it's separation etc. (as opposed to a grinded blend of sound)

How do you explain this to a friend that rocks ipod buds?

Get your friend some jecklin floats and try typing fi.org instead of case.org after head- will solve all your problems.

Get your friend some jecklin floats and try typing fi.org instead of case.org after head- will solve all your problems.

Perhaps, you should have read the whole thread, and maybe you would understand.

It drives me nuts when people only read the first post, and then spout out.

You're not exactly in any position to be complaining about other peoples' posts.

Perhaps you should have lurked more before posting. And try to get off your high horse next time you think about making a thinly veiled thread about how you have superior hearing to your friend. To answer your question, hand him whatever pair of headphones you think is good. If he hears a difference and likes it, cool. If not, still cool and stop bugging him about it.