What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

The Scotch is in good form tonight!

And now for something completely different, ... Coquetiez Du Lion Recipe by Goncalo de Sousa Monteiro

1 1/2 oz Lillet Blanc

1/2 oz Tanqueray Dry Gin (Blackwoods)

2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters (Bitter Truth Creole Bitters)

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with a lime twist.

The house drink for Le Lion–Bar de Paris, in Hamburg. My first attempt was an inverted Vesper: four parts Lillet Blanc to one of dry gin. The old fashioned principle of mixing gin and fortified wine worked marvelously with a Lemon Twist.

The next step to a worthy house cocktail would be the inclusion of bitters in the sense of the first definition of Cock-Tail.

Peychaud’s Bitters were the choice for several reasons. For one, earlier experiments with Tanqueray, lime peel and Peychaud’s worked marvelously. Moreover, Peychaud’s comes from New Orleans—one of the cradles of the Cocktail—and the label of Peychaud’s features a gold medal in an 1869 exhibition at Altona, today part of Hamburg. For the name, the R in Coquetier (egg cup) was changed to Z to symbolize the hypothetical American misspelling “cocktail” and as a reminder of the Martinez, a predecessor to the Martini.

IMG_0180.jpg

turn the fax on

Ready and standing by.

Sam Adams Noble Pils now. Meh, its like water with a hint of beer. The guy at the store suggested I try it since I was buying a bunch of hoppy beers and they're selling the Noble Pils really cheap. Oh well, I guess I can use the rest as a hot afternoon refreshment.

The glen rothes guy at LA CanJam was badmouthing the private bottlings, saying they weren't given the good barrels or best casks...

Well a rep would say that... I am a big fan of Robin Coupar (rep) (he fed me lots of beverage).. But safe to say that some of the best beverages that I have ever had are OB (official bottlings from the distillery).. But the Independent's give you all the views of the juice that is out there. Single cask variations are a lot of fun.

I'm curious, how much do you typically pour in a glass each time?

On a Thursday - my Whisky Chat - about 20-25ml... When I am just kicking back and want to have a beverage it can be from 35ml to 120ml.. :o

Tonight, I have been in the 20ml range.. x7 pours = about 140ml so far.. not bad... probably will max out in the 200ml range...

cheers