What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Are you drinking Manhattan-like cocktails made with Wild Turkey Rye and either Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth or Noilly Prat sweet vermouth? Ratios are up to you, but a dash or two of some bitters would be a good thing and some better vermouth would be even better. We can't have you working buzzed on bad booze, now, can we?

Caved in to all the Manhattan talk so I made a Handy Manhattan with Carpano Antica and Angostura Bitters.

I'm starting to warm up to this whole cocktail deal....any suggestion on my next cocktail venture? Has to be bourbon or rye based though as I am trying to thin my stash of those :)

Sazerac or Old Fashioned perhaps?

Agreed that the Liberal is a great drink but the Amer Picon (or substitutes) may be difficult to find outside of California. You could use both Torani Amer (only in Cali) or Amaro CioCiaro (found in many places I think) as a substitute for the Amer Picon. I like the Torani Amer better (although Cio Ciaro is supposed to be closer to the original Amer Picon). I did some testing and found that a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio (cannot remember) of Cio Ciaro to Regans Orange bitters was pretty close to Torani Amer but tasted better. So if you can find Amaro Cio Ciaro, I would suggest making a Liberal with that and extra orange bitters.

As for the Sazerac, yes, it is an awesome drink. Drink it now, drink it often!

The other drink I would recommend is the Boulevardier. I love this drink and you already have 2/3 of the ingredients. The other ingredient, Campari, is easy to find.

Even for someone who has refused to accept to cocktail trend, that was a cool video. Thanks Jim. :)

Raffy - yeah it seems like Founders decided to move things a little early this year. I've been seeing Backwoods Bastard in pictures on BeerAdvocate over the past week, so it must be in the hands of most distributors by now and on the way to retailers (if not there already). It's good, better bottled than on tap imo.

Agree with the Hendrick's. Be sure to try a Pink Gin using Hendrick's(I prefer it with Tanqueray but with Hendrick's it has a nice/interesting taste) and of course a Gin and Tonic using cucumber slices and Fever Tree tonic.

Currently having a White Lady.

Edited by HDen

My store was out of Bluecoat gin so I got Hendrick's instead. Haven't tried it yet, its one of the good ones, right? Also saw they have all 3 of the St. George gins now too.

Fitz, try a Hendricks gin & tonic with a slice of cucumber garnish. One of the underlying flavors in Hendricks is cucumber so it compliments it very well.

Edit - wow, HDen beat me to it!!

Edited by Absorbine_Sr

Oh, I see. Still curious to try it if I can find a place to buy a single bottle.

Cobble Hill

• 2 oz rye whiskey
  • ½ oz dry vermouth
  • ½ oz Amaro Montenegro
  • 2 slices of cucumber
  • Stir with ice and strain in to a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon zest twist.

(only made 1/2 the recipe)

eG0es.jpg

Edited by shellylh