What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

2001 Joseph Phelps Insignia.

Approve......H. Billiot

H. Billiot Fils Brute reserve because it is 90 here in So Cal. Very nice Champagne with a fruit nose of lichee or kiwi or sumthin, perhaps I can figure out the bouquet with another bottle or two. Worth 2x the price and can hold it's own against Veuve and Piper fun stuff. .

Moar punch (need to mix as many drinks as I can before I am an invalid).

Old Sydney-Town Punch

Followed Al's recipe in post Also didn't have any Meyer lemons (saw them at the store but didn't get one :palm:).

1.5 oz Bols Genever

0.5 oz St. Elizabeth’s Allspice Dram

0.75 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice

0.5 oz fresh squeezed orange juice

0.5 oz Small Hand Foods Pineapple Gum Syrup

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass, fill with ice and shake well for 10 seconds. Strain into a punch glass and serve up with a slight grate of nutmeg.

As Al said, this drink is awesome. I love Allspice Dram.

XcSND.jpg

Approve......H. Billiot

H. Billiot Fils Brute reserve because it is 90 here in So Cal. Very nice Champagne with a fruit nose of lichee or kiwi or sumthin, perhaps I can figure out the bouquet with another bottle or two. Worth 2x the price and can hold it's own against Veuve and Piper fun stuff. .

Unfortunately, this bottle was disappointing. Slightly over the hill, which should not be the case.

So Mikey, was is the verdict on this? ^^

I would say that it is pretty good.. It is nowhere near a full sherry matured Macallan.. but I didn't really expect it to be. But it is a 20yo Macallan for about $90. So for that it does not do anything really wrong, but I have learned to keep my expectations low with these Kirkland (Alexander Murray) bottles. Is it worth the money? close - would be happier in a sub $75 range.

Just home from a great Jazz show -- Think I will have a nightcap of it...

-> Macallan 1991/20yo (sherry Finish) 40% - Kirkland

cheers,

Yes, Young Matt, come to the dark side . . . You lose, Jedi Baker.

Star-Wars-Darth-Vader-Wallpaper.jpg

As for the Dry Manhattan question, you're doing it just fine. I usually go 2:1 rye to vermouth. Just dry vermouth is one way of making a dry manhattan although the Savoy still mixes in some sweet vermouth, although then you are in the Perfect Manhattan territory of equal parts sweet and dry.

Dry Manhattan with Redemption Rye, Noilly Prat, and Angostura. Am I doing it all wrong?

The only thing you are doing wrong is making a dry manhattan instead of a regular manhattan and using Noilly Prat (not a favorite). What kind of sweet vermouth options do you have around you? Carpano Antica, Cocchi di Torino, Vya are all very good (in that order IMO).

The Derby

1 oz Blanton's Bourbon

1/2 oz Cocchi di Torino sweet vermouth

1/2 oz Senor Curacao

1/2 oz lime juice (recipe called for 3/4 oz but I like it this way)

Should garnish with a spring of mint but I didn't have one.

This is a nice drink but would probably be better with a better orange liqueur. I tried to stick with a "true" curacao but the Senor Curacao just doesn't hold up to any of the other orange liqueurs I have in the house. Still a nice drink.

TtEbz.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Cheers to Matt! Welcome to the club. And you can still enjoy beer.

This. Cheers, NWT!

New Belgium Blue Paddle...

bought a bunch of beer at West Lakeview Liquors, but I'm still recovering/normalizing...Bryan & his friends tried to kill me...I'm glad to see that Mike & John were able to escape...

Yep, I got home ok, though Anne thought I was nuts for riding my bike home at 1am after a night of drinking with the boys. I bet I had the equivalent of 2-3 beers over 6 hours, and it was about a 5 minute bike ride. She seemed better after I explained it. Tired all day yesterday but I'm just not used to staying up past 11pm any more.

Oh, and I believe that Bryan and his young friends would be dead from drinking LONG before you would, Jeff! ;)

The only thing you are doing wrong is making a dry manhattan instead of a regular manhattan and using Noilly Prat (not a favorite). What kind of sweet vermouth options do you have around you? Carpano Antica, Cocchi di Torino, Vya are all very good (in that order IMO).

That's why I went dry. The only other options I've ever seen in Florida are Gallo and M&R and I know they make terrible Manhattans.

Mike, does it help that I was drinking that while brewing? Or that I was double-fisting a Hellhound On My Ale?