What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

finishing off the rest of the Shiraz from last night - holds up very nice the second day... man was not meant to drink 1.5L of wine in one day.

(I stick with vintage ports shelly (less sweet - more mouth feel) - most of the major vintage years are good - older the better -- for non-vintage I just grab 3-grapes and drink it)

With a new bottle of port open, I decided to get back to the Anvil list (guess I have about 20 left).

Port Flip

2 oz port

1 tsp sugar

1 whole egg*

Shake with ice, strain into wine glass, and shave nutmeg on top.

This was actually pretty good (and a good use for this port).

*Yes, I am a wimp and used a pasteurized egg. :)

i-qZzJKtF-L.jpg

Shelly, try and search out Dow, Graham's or Taylor. Given your posts and mix preferences you should probably try the vintage ports as opposed to the Tawney ports. If you can find the 1983 Cockburn vintage port you should definitely try that. I have the 1983 Fonseca and it's very nice. In fact I brought a 1983 Fonseca to CanJam LA but couldn't find any port drinkers to share with.

^^I've only ever had the Nissefar...How was the Bestefar?...

I only drank half the bottle so I am hoping it lasts until tonight with a cork in it. It is very dark, much moreso than I expected for some reason, and highly carbonated. Very effervescent and therefore lighter than it looks. It is malty and a bit sweet, but less spicy/holiday flavored than I expected. It's nice overall, and I am curious how it will be tonight.

(I stick with vintage ports shelly (less sweet - more mouth feel) - most of the major vintage years are good - older the better -- for non-vintage I just grab 3-grapes and drink it)

Shelly, try and search out Dow, Graham's or Taylor. Given your posts and mix preferences you should probably try the vintage ports as opposed to the Tawney ports. If you can find the 1983 Cockburn vintage port you should definitely try that. I have the 1983 Fonseca and it's very nice. In fact I brought a 1983 Fonseca to CanJam LA but couldn't find any port drinkers to share with.

Can one find a vintage port for under $100? (I assume you meant "real" vintage ports and not LBV or Colheita or some other port with a year on it, right?)

Can one find a vintage port for under $100? (I assume you meant "real" vintage ports and not LBV or Colheita or some other port with a year on it, right?)

oh there is that...

they are pricey to get anything of age (after I bought a 1963 - most things don't seem that high anymore). If you have access you could grab an LBV - they can be very nice. With the extra wood age (4 years instead of 2 years) they appeal to my whisky side. Or try a half bottle of vintage to see if it is to your liking. You could also try some of the lesser known names such as Croft that are nice (http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1050908), but will not hold up to the likes of a Taylor's.

There is the 2003 Graham or the 2009 Fonseca which should make you happy and are both around $80. As per Mikey's suggestion there is the 375ml Taylor Fladgate 2009 for around $45-50, your gateway bottle sampling to a vintage port addiction. evil.gif

Having said that I decided instead to go with a Ojai Vineyards 2007 Presidio Vineyard Special Bottling Pinot.

Edited by Augsburger

oh there is that...

they are pricey to get anything of age (after I bought a 1963 - most things don't seem that high anymore). If you have access you could grab an LBV - they can be very nice. With the extra wood age (4 years instead of 2 years) they appeal to my whisky side. Or try a half bottle of vintage to see if it is to your liking. You could also try some of the lesser known names such as Croft that are nice (http://www.klwines.c...asp?sku=1050908), but will not hold up to the likes of a Taylor's.

There is the 2003 Graham or the 2009 Fonseca which should make you happy and are both around $80. As per Mikey's suggestion there is the 375ml Taylor Fladgate 2009 for around $45-50, your gateway bottle sampling to a vintage port addiction. evil.gif

Having said that I decided instead to go with a Ojai Vineyards 2007 Presidio Vineyard Special Bottling Pinot.

Locally, from Graham, Taylor, and Fonseca, these are the vintage options (the 750ml 2003 Graham or the 2009 Fonseca are around $100 unfortunately). No Dows vintage but they do have a LBV (actually, there are quite a few LBVs from different producers). Also, there are some Croft vintage 2000, 2007, and 2009 (and the 2009 at 375ml for 40.99). I am not sure why they sell so many 1.5L and not very many 375ml! I guess they sell to restaurants? So I guess maybe the Fonseca 2007 or 2009 is in order (or a Dows LBV).

GRAHAMS VINTAGE PORT 2003 750ML 106.99

GRAHAMS VINTAGE PORT 6/CS 1.5L 141.80

TAYLOR FLADGATE VINTAGE PORT 2007 1.5L 199.99

TAYLOR FLADGATE VINTAGE PORT 2009 1.5L 199.99

TAYLOR FLADGATE VINTAGE PORT 2009 750ML 97.57

FONSECA VINTAGE PORT 2007 375ML 50.27

FONSECA VINTAGE PORT 2009 375ML 50.31

FONSECA VINTAGE PORT 6/CS 2007 750ML 103.46

FONSECA VINTAGE PORT 3/CS 2009 1.5L 199.99

FONSECA VINTAGE PORT 6/CS 2009 750ML 97.57