What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet

Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet
Fink

https://song.link/i/562220092  << song link - Album link only had two streamers listed

Example:

A very well recorded set of live tunes. And very consistent mastering, considering they were from 8 different venues. I was only familiar with one tune, but was very engaged for the entire set. I might have to check recent releases. 

• Like 1

Live album from the Rumors tour in '77. Pretty solid!

I think Lindsay's guitar and Mic's drums sound great. The complex vocal harmonies do suffer a bit in a live setting though. Chris McVie's voice can get lost in the mix at times.

316x316bb.webp

https://music.apple.com/us/album/rumours-live/1696829962

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 5

Celebrants

Celebrants
Nickel Creek

https://album.link/i/1655960194

Example:

Too many great tunes to pick which one to share. This one highlights Sara.

Oh what the hell....

And this one highlights Chris:

I need to tweak my TIDAL favorites list a bit so I don't miss these releases (from March! - I have missed 5+ months of this music in my life). At first I was not a big fan of the production style of this album until I got into the meat of it and it became very clear that they knew what they were doing, the dynamics came alive and I was hooked on every tune. I know that I should expect this from a MacArthur Fellowship 'Genius Grant' award winner.

• Thanks 1

They're so great.  Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to game Tidal's recommendations.  I listen to a lot of shit because of one prog Discord server which is very slanted towards metal which skews my recommendations towards metal that I don't want to listen to.  All I can recommend is to ignore their recommendations, and find an alternate source (MPR?) for your new music releases to which to listen.  I am fortunate in that I have an imaginary friend on Discord that has VERY similar tastes to me (including Hiromi, Sheena Ringo/Tokyo Incidents, and Casiopea!).

• Like 1

where are we

where are we
Joshua Redman

https://album.link/i/1695044022

Example:

A Challenging but very rewarding new release by Joshua. The example is a very approachable track. Gabrielle does a great job matching and contrasting with Joshua and gang on this album.  Good Blue Note release. 

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 4

First time back at SF Jazz since the pandemic tonight and it was too see the Joshua Redman quartet with Gabrielle Cavassa performing songs from his first Blue Note release. They played all but two of the tracks (New England and New Orleans), and he called an audible and added a non album version of Hotel California. I love the band but I don't love her singing style all of the time. Very affected and jazzy stylized. I love the Count Basie / Sufjan Steven's mash-up in Chicago. I haven't listened to the album yet but certainly will soon.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just listened to the album and her vocals are so much better than live. She sounds more relaxed and confident and clear on the album. Much of the time last night, she had an exaggerated style where she clipped/faded both beginnings and endings of words so much that it was distracting. I heard one woman from the audience talking about it on the way out of the hall, and she said it was like Cavassa didn't pronounce any consonants. Hard to explain but it was pretty accurate.

I don't always love jazz vocals but this album has some great takes on an interesting selection of great pieces.

• Like 6

I listened to Redman's album too. Really liked it. Was expecting it to be more experimental from Mikey's comments. It was pretty straight forward to me, and I did like the singer.

Bummer that she sounded so off live. 

I also listened to this:

image.png

I saw some YouTube videos of him but didn't think I'd like a whole album. 

I was wrong. The sound quality was surprisingly good, and this song blew me away, especially the solo. The 8+ minutes is well worth your time, but if you don't want to invest in it, the solo starts at 3:20. 

• Like 2

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat, Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water 

I don't know who needs to hear this, but I did, and I liked it.  Band name is awkward, though.

https://kisstheanusofablackcat.bandcamp.com/track/argonaut-and-magneto

Also:

Piano Magic, Ovations

Amazing album, somewhere between Pieter Nooten, Dead Can Dance, and...I honestly don't know, it sounds vaguely like stuff I used to listen to regularly, yet not like any of them.  His Name is Alive, maybe?  I'm mentioning a bunch of 4AD artists, so that should give you an idea.

From a different album: