What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

His album with Coltrane, on vinyl, is just out of this world. The HDTracks version is good, too...

Yep, that superior album lead me to pick this one up yesterday. Not sure you can have too much for the after hours. Fun to jump between him and Jimmy Scott.

Earlier:

Sz7jvE8.jpg

Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts (2012)

Now:

uLBWAUm.jpg

Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal (2010)

I had never heard of OPN until a month or so ago.  I'm facebook friends with Mixmaster Morris, who posts links to a lot of really interesting music.  There's a lot that insane about the Information Age, but being able to trainspot one of the pioneering ambient DJs on a daily basis is a real treat.

Austra - Olympia

Autra-Olympia.jpg

[bluth voice]That album?[/bluth]

I actually had checked that album out a couple weeks ago.

Sorry, I don't hear the goth.  Indie electronica, yes, and very nice indie electronica, medigs, but I just don't hear the goth.  Perhaps I need to go back and listen to the first album?

Me, now:  "Dead Drop", by Cypher 7 -- I love this track.  Those first 2+ minutes are pure bliss.

[bluth voice]That album?[/bluth]

I actually had checked that album out a couple weeks ago.

Sorry, I don't hear the goth. Indie electronica, yes, and very nice indie electronica, medigs, but I just don't hear the goth. Perhaps I need to go back and listen to the first album?

Yeah, I don't think it applies to this one. There's a significant growth between albums, and while there's a lot in common between them, there's definitely a difference in sound and mood. If the label applies to anything, it could be the first. But it's also a label applied by the more mainstream music media, so while it may well not be actual goth it probably captures the mood of the first album.

How is this possible from an 11 year old?  And I don't mean technically, which can be done by a robot.  I mean soul and heart and guts and depth.  Playing and especially composing.  Quincy Jones doesn't fuck around.  I sure hope she plays more jazz because she is a classical player/composer as well.

Emily+Bear.jpg

How is this possible from an 11 year old?  And I don't mean technically, which can be done by a robot.  I mean soul and heart and guts and depth.  Playing and especially composing.  Quincy Jones doesn't fuck around.  I sure hope she plays more jazz because she is a classical player/composer as well.

Piano is her favourite game to play. 

I’m sure she knows she’s one of the best composers for her age, but I don’t think that even concerns her. 

Pure innocence joy and fun.