Articles

blessingx

• 1 month later...

Not an article, but a series of “newsletter” emails that will start Friday, from Craig Mod (who you may know from tech, photography, walking) on Northern Japan Jazz Kissas. He’ll then delete the list at the end of the 16 days of visits. 

https://craigmod.com/ridgeline/165/ 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just learned that Apple bought the classical music label BIS. Ted Gioia "The honest broker" has what IMHO is a very strong point about it here. About three years ago I started to notice a growth of shady editions of XXth century artists at other streaming platforms, and his view would explain that.

These days everything is business, from education to health, having arts in between. I don't think any society can survive that while having everybody well attended and satisfied.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ thanks,

It is an interesting thought. For me streaming has changed things fundamentally, but in the end it is an extension of things that I have always done.  I never really read music journalism, of course that would involve reading (not my thang). I had some influencers, family friends, radio, but for the most part, I bought music. How did I know what to buy? I didn't it was on sale at Columbia House, so I bought it. Getting hundreds and up to thousands of records, and tapes as well. I really was the only person that I knew that was into Classical, Country, Jazz, Prog, Rock and of course Donna Summer. Listening to Kraftwerk and SRV on the same day. Now that may not be so unusual in this specific crowd, but it was in my teens in central California.

All that to say. It took a lot for me to jump on the streaming idea, but I found how I can use it. I listen to a lot of new music. How do I know what to listen to? I don't. Yeah I get little bits from reading Stereophile equipment reviews (test songs), and Speaker Demo videos on YT (yeah, I know it is stupid to listen to someone recording speakers and playing them back on YT (let me have that one)). But the main thing that I do is I look at the recent releases and I start clicking. Yeah I could read a lovely in-depth article on a new band, or a new release (again, reading?!? yeesh, am I right?)  Or I can spend that thirty minutes clicking through a small pile of new albums and see what clicks for me, and add it to my queue. And then I come back and listen to the album, I listen to a lot more than I ever post, mostly because a lot of things are not worthy. I always consider, if I am posting, it is something that I want to share. 

I think that before times it was more important (not that it isn't important) to have people with connections and knowledge to let you know what was out there so that you knew what to spend your hard earned $$$ on. But now, I can look at the releases and click click, I am listening to that new album. 

Now streaming has triggered something old in me, I want to listen to everything, and with 100 million tracks at my fingertips, that is an issue. Tis the reason that I end up with over 600 albums in my queue. Also because I still want to go back and listen to Rush Hemispheres several times a year. 

anyway... what were we talking about? ... 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...