Everything posted by Voltron
-
Happy Birthday en480c4
Better yet, may the Russian pole vaulter visit you while Neko Case sings happy birthday to you a la Marilyn Monroe! Have a great birthday, and start posting in the damn listening thread again! Cheers
-
NorCal 8/8/2009 Meet Impressions
I met Acix and he said he is a musician/recording engineer/whatever and I tried the cans in question. They are pretty cool for studio kind of cans and I told him that they sounded pretty good from the Amarra headphone output. One thing I liked was the feel of them, both the rubbery ear pads and the springy headband that clamps to your head (but not terribly tight or anything). One major caveat is that he was playing a mix CD of his own creation and it was pretty esoteric electronica, mostly beeping noises and a beat. Nothing wrong with that, but not an easy way for me to really judge the cans. He clearly likes them and didn't seem shilly. I think he also had some K701 or 702 and spent some time on my rig. I wouldn't assume ill intentions, but I really don't know any more about him than what I just wrote. Except that he is German and has an accent that is pretty heavy at times.
-
Another SACD/K2/Telarc/etc. sale
Do they do it like magazine/book sellers for overstock? I think they rip off the covers and send them to the publisher, then they can sell the remnants at reduced cost or get rid of them.
-
What are you listening to Part Two
Joe Jackson -- Look Sharp!
-
Deals
What'choo talkin' 'bout? * *Seems almost smiley-worthy.
-
What did you do today?
Thanks for all the supportive comments everybody. Claire is doing fine and doesn't seem to have had any real damage. She is going to start crossing that street at a light a couple blocks away from now on to avoid this bullshit. Hope you're feeling better Reks!
-
Deals
Maybe I could get them shipped directly to Lawton Audio for the full treatment!
-
What did you do today?
This morning was a rather typical Sunday, hanging out with the family and also helping my daughter re-do her room. But my wife went for a run with the dog while the kids and I had lunch at the house. She called 45 minutes later saying she had been hit by a car. I nearly gagged, but she said she was alright and just shaken up. I drove over to where she was sitting on the curb with the young woman and her obnoxious friend who kept wanting to leave. The police had been called by a neighbor/witness who saw the whole thing. Claire was crossing in a cross-walk on a busy street along Golden Gate Park when the person in the closer, right lane actually obeyed the giant PED XING sign but these jerks were still flying down the street in the left lane. Luckily, she saw them quickly enough to turn and try to get back but they were going fast and their side-view mirror hit her arm near her elbow. She did not fall down but she was freaked out. Feeling very lucky but a little freaked out myself.
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
It's a one-computer license, but if you carry your dongle around with you -- -- then you could easily have multiple locations with the Amarra software in place. The Amarra 4 has all or most of the ULN-8 functionality, and it has one or two tweaks that prevent consumers killing their speakers by having the gain unintentionally high. Anyway, there are 8 channels of analog in and 8 out (4 stereo pairs if you choose), and there are 8 channels of digital inputs/outputs also, so you could have 4 digital sources or two sources in and two receiving Amarra's digital output. The breakout cable I have is two AES in and two AES out. The Amarra 4 has a high quality analog volume control so you can use it as a true preamp as well.
-
Your recent music purchases
That's cool, but did somebody sell you their set? The first ones -- including Big Beat -- are OOP.
-
Blue Hawaii Special Edition
The SR-Omegas are brilliant and they sound fantastic out of Naaman's BH. I don't think they sound as good out of the BHSE, and I certainly don't think the HE90 sounds very good out of the BHSE. Maybe the tubes can make a big difference, but the several times I have heard the BHSE it sounds best with the O2 but too bright and glaring with the SR-Omega and the HE90. Both of those cans sounded really good out of the WES and I have spent some time recently going back and forth between the BH and WES and the WES comes out ahead.
-
What did you do today?
Have fun Stretch!
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
Mac audio is bit perfect, but that is not the whole story. The Amarra software has EQ but I do not use it. It takes the processing out of the Mac/Core Audio system and in my case, does the processing inside the Amarra hardware to the greatest extent possible. If you use the software only, then it still shifts it outside the normal path. I do not know the details and they do not like to describe the details, but I know what I hear and I like it.
-
Amarra "Mini" -- $395
Mac only, indeed. I don't know shit about Foobar and Asio but Amarra sounds great. I just went through a phone intervention with Jonathan today, and fixed up what I had really botched up with the software/hardware combo. It sounds great again and I would never go back to regular iTunes.
-
Happy Birthday Chekhonte
- What are you listening to Part Two
Joshua Redman -- Compass- Post the last thing you bought!
- Post the last thing you bought!
Wut? The Nugget Audio B22?- Rank Your Headphones
Ranking just my stats: SR-Omega > 4070 > Lambda Sigs- Stax SRM-T2
He must have posted his comments while I still had my post open. Didn't see his initial impressions until just now.- Post the last thing you bought!
But which one of the 5 little holes do you plug them into? Team Arky Sparky to the max! I think Mike may have bought one, but JP just borrowed one. I think the GS-1 came in last place in some listening tests he just conducted. He said he would post up findings soon.- Stax SRM-T2
Yeah, why so coy?!- What are you listening to Part Two
I agree he is diluting himself with too many releases, but that said I still like most of them. The recent Alhambra Love Songs is about my Bay Area and this new one is at least not a Masada iteration. I am listening now and I like it. First evar, you image thief?! Wow, that is something. I have always had a TT of some form, including the console number my parents had when I was growing up. I have both of the vinyls you have spun today, and they are both quite nice.- Bookshelf speakers build
Beautiful work Ben. That is all very impressive.- Post the last thing you bought!
Congrats Mike and Stretch! You should both enjoy those purchases immensely. As for me: FOTM13 Pro! - What are you listening to Part Two
Important Information
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.