Kim Jong Il is dead.

Knuckledragger

Unfortunately, his his son is quite young to lead a country (27) and reportedly even more batshit than his old man. The probability of a military coup in th enext few weeks is fairly high.

Yep, 27 is too young for most people to be taken very seriously in that kind of power structure. It's going to get very interesting very quickly.

Sounds like the missle launches were something planned for a while, but I'm sure it's also a signal that North Korea is trying to send that it still is in powerful control....

I just hope it doesn't get too much in turmoil, not good when there's nukes potentially involved.

Edited by skullguise

Yep, 27 is too young for most people to be taken very seriously in that kind of power structure.

I just hope it doesn't get too much in turmoil, not good when there's nukes potentially involved.

I'm sure he has some elder advisors, but in the last few years they haven't been much help (to the world community). Hopefully he'll lose his way diplomatically and things will smooth out.
  • Like 1

You mean you want frightened people trying desperately to cry publicly so they won't be purged? Most North Koreans were too starving to make a public display of mourning. They're screwed even moreso than usual.

I suppose my sarcasm did not show through well enough. Oops. They were obviously put up to it, and it's an absolute travesty what those people have gone through in the last few decades.

I think this can go one of three ways:

1. Son alone maintains status quo and is revered like his father (I am not betting on this)

2. Son is overthrown/ousted by military brass or government rival (Most likely)

3. A civilian revolution (VERY unlikely)

As much as I would like the people to rise up and take control, I see nothing at all that would facilitate this. We are not (to the best of my knowledge) covertly helping civilians like in Iran, because there is no grassroots push for change (again, to the best of my knowledge). The people are too poor and beaten down, and the military is much too powerful. I do not see any other country pulling a Libya there; I think it will be more of the same for the foreseeable future. The question is who will have the power.