Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

^^ And the amazing value that it represents, with the latest thinking from one of the greatest minds of our time! The BHSE is a masterpiece that will forever be unequalled!

Hey Justin, any chance I could get the lesser of my next 2 orders for free?

Should I sell:

a) my car

B) at least 3 of 6 guitars

c) all audio equipment that is not strictly necessary

d) my soul

e) any combination of the above

in order to get a BHSE?

Some combination of b & c, yes. Or perhaps you could talk to flecom about a second job. Can you run a mop? They're having a hard time finding people who want to run the mop, for some reason.

I, unfortunately, only have 3 guitars, and none of any worth. Ditto "audio equipment". Certainly not enough to add up to a BHSE.

Need to play win some scratchers.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Natch, but are there any Stax that are a shitty match with the BH? :P

Ehhhh no, and I've tried all the possible models except two. :) I miss mine badly and it's almost been a year since I sent it off to Justin. Lack of time, other projects and our crumbling economy are slowing down my plans to build my own versions so I'm stuck with the Egmont (soon to be fitted with some feedback) and the 717... :'(

I would rate it on par with the SRM-T1 so not bad but not great either. It has a bit more extension then the Stax amp but it's also not as smooth with a slight edge in the midrange and treble. I'm not done with it as I'm going to add feedback (a cap and a resistor per phase) and swap out the plate resistor for the 6S4A's. The 47k/5W units run at 70-80

The PSU used by Rudi is an absolute turd, a simple voltage doubler and it runs at a much lover voltage (+/-260v) then I'm running the basic KGSS PSU at (+/-350v). I was pretty much stuck with the KGSS PSU due to space issues and that I wanted to use my 30$ R-core transformer which didn't have split secondaries. I could have used a similar PSU as Justin is using in the BHSE but that would be overkill in every sense.

Now given the design and tubes used by Rudi he would have had to use two PSU's to be able to use any higher voltage then +/-260v given the limitations of the ECC83 input tubes. The ECC99 is pin compatible, can handle much more voltage but has less gain but I could live with it. It's also in current production, sounds great and I have a bunch on hand for use in the APL.

The largest flaw of the Egmont amp circuit are the 6SN7 output tubes. These are almost the same as the 6CG7's used by Stax in their amps so have all the same issues. Not enough power or voltage handling (though there are higher rated versions of the 6SN7 available) plus they are far from cheap. The 6S4A is a much better fit with more power handling, higher voltage rating and they are cheap since nobody uses them.

The biggest problem with the Rudistor amps is the bias supply. It's a fuckup of epic proportions with huge caps that aren't going to be kind on the resistive coating on the diaphragms. :palm:

• 3 weeks later...

I sent an email to Justin:

Can you give me an estimated delivery date for the Blue Hawaii SE? I must admit that the longer it drags on the more I want to cancel my order.

I placed my order and a deposit in Oct. 2007. When you asked for full and final payment in Dec. 2008, I thought the amp shouldn't take too much longer to ship. Six months is a bit much, in my opinion, from collecting final payment and still no delivery and no communication.

This kind of experience is similar to dealing with Single Power Audio.

The comparison to SP is a bit out of line but I understand the frustration of waiting.

I think Justin is stuck in a tough spot with the BHSE. It'll likely be his least profitable product but requires the most care and attention and huge chunks of time. All I can say is hang in there, I believe the wait is almost over for the folks in the first batch.