Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Crazy elephant?! I'm "Super-cool baby elephant" dammit. :)

Nahh I'm still going with crazy... ;D

I asked for all black except for silver tube rings. Yep, boring. I just know that I'm going to be jealous of other better-looking color combos.

Needs moar silver!!

Hmm, maybe I can buy a Singlepower two-box chassis and put the BHSE inside?

Why not ask Mikhail about it...? I'm sure he could use the cash...:indra:

Forgive my incompetence here, but I thought tube amps were not supposed to be turned on without headphones plugged in :confused:

Really not sure that this applies to many amps

OTL tube amps with capacitor output (Singlepowers, RSA, many others): All of these if they are built properly have a resistor load on the output to prevent the output capacitor from discharging into the headphones

transformer coupled amps: Not sure, do they require a load on the secondary? In the case of headphone amps, many of these may be 8-16 ohm outputs and already have a resistor load internally.

OTL tube amps, DC coupled: This is like the Blue Hawaii. A Stax headphone is a capacitor load anyway. I would think the feedback loop would count as a resistive load on the output of the amp.

As far as I know, for what an amp builder tried to explain to me, if you don't load the secondary of a transformer coupled tube amp, the tube output sees the primary as a load with just the impedance of the wire in the primary, so it's quite close to a short. The tube is asked to delivery way more current than it's designed to and will die soon. So for a short while you can run an OTC tube amp without a load plugged, but it's not a good idea doing so for more than a few minutes, unless you want to burn out your tubes prematurely.

For an hybrid amp, if the output devices are the transistors, not having a load plugged shouldn't be a problem. The transistors are still a load that the tubes would "see" despite you don't connect anything to the output.