Recabled HD600

Contrastique

Hi everyone,

That surely has been awhile (again)!

I wanted to say hi and ask a question since I'm browsing the boards a little again (probably not for long). I hope you're all doing fine! I still see quite a bit of familiar names around here, the only person I've missed so far is Vicky.

As some of you have seen over at the other side I'm currently in the process of selling my ED9s, yes the time has finally come! Seeing that I started out with the 750s and (finally) noticing a lot of bad things happening) I felt at the time the ED9s were a great step up. It actually had something that could go for a midrange. Add more speed detail etc to the mix and I thought it was a done deal. Now a couple of years down the road midrange is still lacking and presentation remains awkward albeit not as bad as the 750s. The thing that pushed me over the edge is the uncomfortable headband, which presses the top of my head so much that listening for more than two hours in a row is downright painful.

It's been awhile since I have followed the boards and lots of new things have surfaced. Reading through the other place is not much of a help, but hey, who am I talking to ;)

Anyway, I am quite intrigued by the LCD-3 but besides the fact it is a shitload of money I'm not sure my amp will drive them properly. Anyone any thoughts on that?

So...having lived with my wasted brothers' HD600 for awhile I decided to get a recabled HD600 to begin with. I see a lot of recabling options. Is there one that stands out? I have the possibility of driving it balanced but don't have the feeling it will make much of a difference.

Anyway, hope not to be a bore with all you far-more-knowledgable-people but it's nice to say hi to you anyway ;)

Yeah, we don't talk about headphones any more, just drinking.

Kidding; welcome back; etc.

If memory serves, recabling is necessary, but nothing stands out. The biggest difference is going from stock to pretty much any decent upgrade cable. I prefer the Cardas, but that's MHO.

Sure wouldn't hurt to get a balanced one to go with your amp. 4 pin XLR? Might see if one of the DIY guys would solder something together for you.

And yes, if you're going for comfort, you can't do much better than the Sennheiser HD600/HD580/HD650. Excellent choice.

Hi Indra, welcome back. I wouldn't fret too much about spending a ton of $$ on a replacement cable for the 600s. I'd order a stock HD650 cable (assuming you still can) and use that. It's a nice, decent qualitiy cable terminated with a 1/4" plug and easily adapted to balanced drive if you really want to. The best thing is that it is non-microphonic unlike most of the aftermarket/DIY options. Actually, I just looked at the 650 cable is still available and a meager $14 + shipping. If you can't order it internationally just shoot me a message and I'll get you one and forward it along.

Yep, the HD650 cable is pretty decent for the price. Actually I'd happily choose it for recable jobs on other dual entry headphones. It is reasonably sturdy but stays free of microphonics. Also the Y-splitter is pretty well done which I can't say about the otherwise fine Grado cable.

Yeah, we don't talk about headphones any more, just drinking.

Kidding; welcome back; etc.

If memory serves, recabling is necessary, but nothing stands out. The biggest difference is going from stock to pretty much any decent upgrade cable. I prefer the Cardas, but that's MHO.

Sure wouldn't hurt to get a balanced one to go with your amp. 4 pin XLR? Might see if one of the DIY guys would solder something together for you.

And yes, if you're going for comfort, you can't do much better than the Sennheiser HD600/HD580/HD650. Excellent choice.

Yes, comfort wise the HD600s are really really lovely. Much nicer than the ED9s (which I just sold so happy!). When buying the HD600 I would even have some money left to throw at a record player. Anyway, not the point now ;)

The balanced outputs are 1/4" TRS.

Hi Indra, welcome back. I wouldn't fret too much about spending a ton of $$ on a replacement cable for the 600s. I'd order a stock HD650 cable (assuming you still can) and use that. It's a nice, decent qualitiy cable terminated with a 1/4" plug and easily adapted to balanced drive if you really want to. The best thing is that it is non-microphonic unlike most of the aftermarket/DIY options. Actually, I just looked at the 650 cable is still available and a meager $14 + shipping. If you can't order it internationally just shoot me a message and I'll get you one and forward it along.

Hi Nate, thanx! I just looked and can even get the cable in the Netherlands so thanks for the heads up. It's a bit more expensive here but okay, nowhere near the aftermarket cables. I'd still like to try them balanced just because it's possible and I want to decide whether it makes a difference or not for myself. I suppose there are companies making adapter cables that can be used with the 650-cable? Or better off buying a dedicated balanced cable? I've never actually bought cables besides yours which is still in use btw. so not sure where to take it as there are so many options out there.

Looking forward! Hope to be able to get an HD600 tomorrow. Never thought I would go for Sennheiser after all this time haha! afro.gif

So...uh...I just happen to have bought a pair of HD600s that came with an HD650 cable that has been reterminated for balanced (4pin XLR). What is the configuration of your amp? 4pin or dual 3pin? If it's 4pin I'll just send you the cable. If not, we can discuss reterminating it for dual 3pin. I don't solder much anymore but this wouldn't take much effort.

Hey Indra! I think you will find the HD600/650 really do respond to balanced operation. Starting with the HD650 cable is a good way to proceed, so long as it is not too expensive to convert. It may be voodoo or placebo or whatever, but I always found the copper cables to sound best with the HD600, while the mixed silver/copper or silver cables were better with HD650. For HD600, I preferred the Moon Audio Blue Moon, the Cardas (like Dusty said), or the HeadRoom Fat Pipe, which was also some kind of Cardas iirc. I will look around and see if I have anything I can send your way.

@Nate: Indra says the balanced outputs are 1/4" TRS so that may require some details on implementation.

EDIT: Oh, and you can find Vicki in the thread on Bicycles and Cycling, which is where her interests lie these days.

Edited by Voltron

Ow duhhhh, right... facepalm.png

I looked up the specs provided back then by ASR which I forgot (and took a closer look at the outputs): "they're TRS combo jacks, so they allow either XLR or 1/4" headphone plugs."

And that's my amp for sure ;)

If it wouldn't be too much trouble reterminating that would be great, Nate! Please let me know what you want for this in return.

Thank you all!

Getting an adapter loses the benefit of going balanced from the amp to the headphones, so no, don't do that. But it looks like Nate already has it under control, so that's all I wanted to pipe in/append with.

For future reference, there are companies (e.g. Headroom) that will sell you pre-terminated-as-balanced cables -- look, they even have a balanced HD650 cable.

Anyone know the material differences between the 650 cable and 600 cable? From what I am guessing, both are probably copper of the same gauge but the 650 cable has thicker insulation and a PITA protective coating that has to get burned off. Will probably hack one up to be a 4-pin cable in the near future.

I found that the Cardas cable was better than the stock.

The Zu Mobius which is silver certainly gave the treble a boost.

The Equinox gave the best all-round presentation.

btw, I was a real skeptic until I changed to a Cardas from stock.

I also found that if you replace the foam with about 5 layers of nylon pantyhose cut to size, it lifts the treble considerably.

Without any foam I only last about 20 minutes before my ears get very tired of the presentation.

The other side may have a cheap aftermarket cable for sale.

With the HD600, I prefer the Equinox the most among the followings: Cardas, Blue & Silver Dragon, and Zu Cable. Can anyone remember the Clou & Red Blue Japris? Those were crazy stiff cables. The first upgrade cables made famous by headroom. Tyll, you got to remember those right?

Edited by purk

Can anyone remember the Clou & Red Blue Japris? Those were crazy stiff cables. The first upgrade cables made famous by headroom. Tyll, you got to remember those right?

Yeah, I remember them. They'd snip the wire about 1/2 inch from the Senn connector and the splice on the new wire. Ahhh the old days....thank goodness they're over.