HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Mike,

Remember that your riding position, especially seat height will probably be a lot different on your MTB compared to your road bike.  I ride with a significantly lower seat heigh on the MTB.  Even on a FS bike you don't want to get whacked with a seat when your flying downhill (I need a dropper post, thx for the reminder) and you should be spending a significant amount of time out of the saddle anyway. ;)

But it's a nice looking ride and yes, the newer FS bikes are huge.  It's crazy how much bigger the Jekyll is than my FS Gary Fisher.

I want my seat high, as I do not have a dropper, because it makes those crazy inclines much more achievable.  I know this negatively affects handling but I have not really had any issues that I couldn't get through.  A dropper would be ideal but everything I read on any of them makes them look like unreliable nonsense.

I think my road bike and mountain bike seats are pretty close to have the 30% knee angle.

Thanks.  I'm going to try to get out one morning this week. In order to ride the park which is about 6 miles from me, I have to watch a video, sign a waiver and get a card showing I am in compliance.  This is new since I rode there more than 10 years ago.  It's in a county park so I get it.  I need to find when they are open in the morning so I have enough time to get a short ride in.

The wife green lighted a new bike with the stipulation that if my truck dies I have to ride the bike until we save for a new vehicle for me.  It's okay since it does not rain much here and it is always riding weather.  Since I don't have an LBS I'm on my own as far as fit goes.  I know from a couple of websites that take your measurements and give you a starting point that I need something with a 53-54cm seat post.  I road a Specialized Roubaix in 58 while back home and it felt good.  Unfortunately I cannot get one of those shipped here so I have to go with someone who ships to me.  I have looked at some Kestrel models and am wondering if anyone has rode one of these.  I see mixed reviews for them.  I rode one years ago but only for a short test ride.  I could not afford it then so did not take it out long.  I also keep looking at the Colnago CLX 3.0 and the BMC Road Racer SL01.  Those are both at the top of my spending range.  I also considered going with bikes direct and getting one of the Motobacane bikes with a good group and upgrading frames in a year or so.  I have a friend who rides one of their bikes and is happy as can be with it.  Just not really sure what to do right now.    

I am 6'00" with a 32" inseam.  The inseam measurement was measured according to a couple of different sites.  

According to all my measurements I should look for a 53 center-to-center of 54 center-to-top frame size. 

I swear every site I look at has the frame sizes listed differently.  It gets confusing after a while.

I just looked at the specs on the Roubaix 58 and the center-to-top is 54cm.  So I guess that is what I am looking for.  Even without a fitting that was the most comfortable I've been on a bike in years. 

Edited by c12mech

The Roubaix has a sloped top tube so the measurements that you're looking at are not going to be the same from bike to bike. I'm pretty much the same size as you maybe an inch taller but the 58 Roubaix is a great fit for me. What sites are you looking at that are telling you you want something in the 53 to 54 size range?

I was using the fit system on wrenchscience.com.  They have all there bike frames listed by c-t-c or c-t-t.  I was completely confused at first then I figured out what they were doing and it made sense.  Bikesdirect does the same thing as do a couple of other sites.  I've gotten to the point of making sure to look at the geometry page to make sure of what I am looking at.

Yeah, I would agree. I an 5'8" with a 30" inseam (can't remember my cycling inseam) and a 53/54 is what I should ride. My RRA is a 22 1/2" C-T, but fits me fine.

You should be on a minimum of a 56. You would be very cramped on a 53 or 54. Your reach measurement and top tube length (or effective length) is more important though.

The one thing I do not want to do is be "stretched out" while riding.  On my current bike I feel that way and it is not comfortable at all after a couple of miles.  It is a mountain bike though and when going down hills it feels fine but not for any extended period of just riding along.  When I rode the Roubaix in a 58 it felt right.  I'm sure if I had it fitted to me it would have been even better.  I'm really kicking myself for not buying it when I was on vacation. 

Now I just have to decide which to get.  I cannot find anywhere that will sell the Roubaix online so I'm looking at other options.  Right now the Colnago CLX 3.0 is my top choice with the BMC Road Racer SL01 a close second.  These are at the top of my price range and I would prefer to spend less but I also want something that should last me for a long time. 

Specialized forbids online sales, so no legit bike store should be able to sell you one under warranty. And I obviously would

Not recommend buying one online, because It'll have no warranty regardless.

Nor the colnago or bmc have much of a relaxed geom. I think a 56ish or M/L with a Relaxed geom may be of consideration. Maybe looking into a giant OCR type geometry should provide a less "stretched" out feeling overall.

Edited by CD44hi

If you rode a 58 and it felt good I can't imagine you feeling anything but cramped on a 54. How tall are and what's your inseam?

Speaking of which, does anyone have a proper way of measuring inseam? There doesn't seem to be a standard way of doing it and I come up +/- 2" the times I have tried... which is a rather large window of error (and it has nothing to do with how cold it is :police: )

Thanks for all this help guys.  I really wish that I was in the states and could just go to a shop and get what I wanted.  It would make life a lot easier.

That being said, can anyone recommend a good online retailer to buy from?  I have bought from Jenson and Pricepoint before but it was just tools and wheels, not a whole bike. 

Funny you mention the GP 4000 because I got a flat this morning in one. They are nice tires but I need me some skins. I ordered some ultras.

On a similar note and because I am jinxed I checked the mtb today and the rear tire was flat. :palm: I rode it on my block last night for 5 minutes for gods sake. I took off the tire, which was quite a feat. I found a small hole, patched it. Now I can't get the tire back on. Any recommendations would be welcome.