HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Jealous. It's been snowing here since before noon and actually sticking. I think riding season just officially ended.

On the other hand, we now have "fat bikes" with big balloon tires that let you ride on snow.  There's a bunch of guys a couple hours north of me who ride their fat bikes in the snow all winter, and several XC ski areas have opened their trails to bikes this winter.

Check it out

https://plus.google.com/photos/113125576961447749127/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/113125576961447749127/albums/5696187796353128385

They also ride on sand.  I've seen a couple around here, but I don't think they'd actually let you ride on the beach.  I want to try one out just out of curiosity, but would have no use for one.

John, how did you like that ride?  I think I told you going north is far nicer, especially in the morning with no traffic or lights.  

I'm getting my cast off on Christmas Eve, so am hoping to be back on my bikes by the new year, even if going short and slow.  I'm starting to work out with my trainer again tomorrow morning 5:30AM (eeeek....I guess I lost my 6:30AM spot when I stopped for a bit).  I wonder how much muscle/strength I've lost while doing nothing at all for six weeks?

Vicki,

I'd do at least a couple of rides on a stationary/trainer before going back out on the road if it were me. It'd suck to get a few miles in and have an issue and be faced we walking or riding home on a sore ankle.

And yeah, I've seen fat bikes but I'm just at my personal threshold for number of bikes and conditions that I choose to ride in.

Nate, I agree.  I'm definitely going to start slow, and I already have a trainer set up in my living room.  I'm just excited to get my cast off.  I'm going to make an appointment to get the Calfee fitted and get some pedals on it, so when I'm ready to ride, I'll have a nice new toy to try.  This was a real wake up call for me, and I'm going to be taking extra precautions with my ankle in every way.  First order of business is to drop poundage.  I'm 12 pounds down since the accident.  Only 30 more to go :)

• Like 1

The bicycling certainly helps with the weight loss.  I have lost 79 pounds since getting the first bike.

Damn, Jeff.  That's impressive!

With all the cycling I was doing, I still only lost six pounds.  I just like eating too much.  This holiday season is going to kill me with temptations, but I'm sticking to my diet.   I made it through Thanksgiving and one holiday party so far.  The big work one, where everyone brings in homemade goodies, is Tuesday, so if I can get through that, I think I'll be good until New Year's. My plan is to be at my goal weight by Spring, or as I like to call it, Kirk time.  Hoping getting back on the bike, minus big eating, will do that for me.  

Set it up a bit at lunch.  The 19" seems to fit but I can't believe how big this bike is with the 29" wheels.  It is a pretty strange feeling being on a bike that is so high off the ground and physically large, especially when I am used to riding my road bike.  It dwarfed my old hard tail mountain bike.  Not sure what I think at this point.