The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

That octopus did not just do it once. Each morning there was an aquarium power outage and the 2,000W spot was blown. After a number of days, they staked out the tank at night and caught Otto blowing the lamp with a squirt of water. He also juggled with hermit crabs and rearranged his tank to suit his taste.

A very strange lifeform with a distributed brain - 2/3 of which are in the arms. It has as many neurons as a dog. Hence the creature's smartness.

I really don't have a problem with beef, pork, lamb or chicken. It is my view that these animals have done very well in terms of population by the fact we eat them. But I'm now unhappy about eating octopus, delicious though it may be - in raw intelligence it is similar to eating a dog.

Deliciousness was the reason the dodo became extinct. The flightless and friendly bird was just too darned superb to eat. So sailors just ate all of them.

qDWiEs1.jpg

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.  You can’t expect to wield supreme executive power just ’cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!  I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they’d put me away!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You have no idea what we have had to put up with in the UK on this. It has been pretty much saturation on radio and TV for a good week before the coronation. By the way, there is a war raging in Ukraine and Sudan - 10 seconds - but what about the coronation chaps!

BBC1, BBC2 and ITV showed it simultaneously, and if you missed a bit it was available on +1 and on streamed catch up.

My daughter and her husband watched it in Australia, but they didn't get a week of preamble, so they were less jaded by the whole thing.

Turned on in the evening, and a bit like football pundits there was a post coronation analysis running.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

9 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

You have no idea what we have had to put up with in the UK on this.

Well, we did get an inkling of the something like three years of news coverage on the queen passing. But things are a little different in America where we all rule… 

IMG_1342.jpeg

• Haha 4

Thought this would be appropriate, since it's been 70 years...

curtana (kɜːˈtɑːnə) in British English
noun: the unpointed sword carried before an English sovereign at a coronation as an emblem of mercy
from Anglo-Latin, from Old French cortain, the name of Roland's sword, which was broken at the point, ultimately from Latin curtus (short)

To Microsoft: Hey, curtana...

spacer.png

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

hedqZI8.jpg

This is a photo of a group of boomers in a record store, taken in 1973.  I have no idea what is the album that the woman in the middle is holding.  I've asked several people and gotten either "I don't know" or wrong answers (CCR's Mardi Gras, which game out in '72 but didn't look like that.)