ANY SCOOTER LOVE HERE?

swt61

I'm considering a scooter once I move to Sacramento. I had a Honda Elite 150 back in 85', and liked it a lot. I want something that I can take on the highway though, in case I want to scoot into San Francisco, or elsewhere.

There are some really cheap Chinese scooters on the market, but they have horrible reviews, so I'm most likely going to stick with the well known players. Right now top consideration is going to the new Honda Forza 300cc, coming out in July.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Burgman 400 or even better 650, would be great.  They both come with ABS which a big plus if you're going to be on highways with them.  They're definitely well thought of.  Believe it or not, there is now a 800cc scooter on the market as well, although at that point... just get a bike already!!!

http://www.visordown.com/features/five-of-the-best-big-scooters/18082-5.html#historysub

The Vespa GTS 300 series (there are 3 different models) are extremely well built as well, but may be somewhat power limited (but still rated for 80 mph).  It just depends on how much you want to spend and how fast you think you might need to go to out of jams.  It's always good to have some headroom in that regard.  You want to be riding something that responds quickly boh in terms of acceleration and braking if you're going more than 40 mph.  

What I like most about Vespa is that there really isn't much plastic on them.  That gives them extra weight which helps a lot in terms of balance and just giving a more "planted" smooth ride.  I've bounced around on many different scooters of 125cc or less and none of them give me the same illusion of safety.  It is an illusion though, because you're totally exposed when you're on 2 wheels without a cage.

In any case, I think you'll need to whittle it down to whether you're looking for something in the 300-400cc range or the 500cc and above range.  The 300-400cc range with give you some heft/weight/sense of safety, but will still be a fun ride for your day to day tooling around at lower speeds.  It will give you enough power to be able to get out on the highway on occasion without being totally terrified, but would not be a good "cruiser" type of bike for long trips.  

The 500cc and above scooters are essentially medium sized motorcycles without the need to shift gears.  Great for long trips and highway usage.  They'll go 100mph.  In fact, a large part of this market is represented by older guys who either never rode, or because of their physical limitations with their legs (blood sugar problems and such) just want to be able to ride without the fuss of a shifting.  So I'd imagine that most of these big scooters would lose a little of the fun factor if you're mostly just running around town in them.  

Oh, and stay away from anything less than 200cc.  At least in my opinion, I wouldn't feel safe on them (as in having confidence of getting myself out of trouble) on an interstate.  

Edited by Wmcmanus

It would be rare that I would cruise on the highway, but I like the idea of having the option. I've never owned a motorcycle, and like the idea of a scooter. I'm lazy and don't want to shift gears, not to mention that scooters are kind of gay, so it's a good fit. :) The bigger scooters do have larger tires than small scooters, though not as large as bike. 

It rains 1 in 5 days in the Bay area.

Mind if I ask where that data came from (and what cities/counties were included in 'Bay Area')? If you knock out occasional light sprinkles in the middle of the night and fog, I don't see how the majority of the Bay Area gets close to that. Maybe 1 in 5 days somewhere in the Bay Area? It's a big area with lots of micro-climates, including the coast. 

Edited by blessingx

Anyway, from the driving perspective, the reason so many accidents occur the first rain every year (besides oil rising to the asphalt surface) is most drivers haven't seen rain for the previous five-six months. It's like a blizzard in more climately interesting areas. And the 'rainy season' is pretty mild too. Really think that 1 in 5 stat, which may be accurate, is misleading. 

Agreed. Bay Area drivers do seem confused when the effective coefficient of friction changes. Adapt your driving style to the conditions? pah! What, you mean ABS doesn't violate the laws of physics to guarantee invariant breaking distance?. Don't Make Me Think! / Put down that Latte / iPhone!

I lived in the bay area for about 4 years. Even when it does rain, it's nothing like Texas rain. I think a rain pancho will suffice. 

Whether you get a scooter or a motorcycle, be sure to get real protective gear.  In other words, get a real full-face helmet, riding suit of some kind, gloves and boots.

I think a poncho would have a tendency to leak at the bottom.  Of course, if you meant a guy named Pancho to keep you warm in the rain, that might work. ;)