Offbeat Question of the Day

guzziguy

This morning I was watching "Wright Brothers: First in Flight", an interesting, historical TV show.  I highly recommend it if you are at all interested in flight and/or history.  After their first successful flight, they walked 4 miles to telegraph the news back to Dayton, OH.  I wondered why they walked.  It was 1903 so I can believe that they didn't have an automobile and there probably wasn't a suitable road for one on Kitty Hawk.  But why didn't they have horses or a wagon?  Then I remembered that they were bicycle builders.

So my question of the day is "Why didn't the Wright brothers ride bicycles to the telegraph office?

That's pretty funny, Grahame.

Because the soft sandy ground meant that they could not ride a 1903 era bike? I assume you'd just get bogged down.

1903 bikes were modern bikes.  This site shows that bikes have changed very little since the Wrights' 1898 St. Clair model.  Modern sand bikes are basically regular bikes changed to allow very large tires.  There's no reason the Wrights couldn't have built one.  I'm sure that they could have had big fat tires made.  Akron was the world center of tire production in 1903.  The Wrights went to Kitty Hawk enough times to recognize the need for a sand bike if it interested them to build one.

The video is great.  Maybe Brent should buy a sand bike. >:D

@ Jacob - I don't know either.  I was just wondering.  I'll try to remember to ask them in the afterlife. ;)

@ Carl - Was it dune all or most of the way to the telegraph office?  Maybe the Wrights were so focused on the flying machine that they never gave a thought about what they would do once it flew.

Not knowing is one of the reasons I called this an offbeat question.  Hopefully other people will have some too.

The dune at Kitty Hawk is one mighty big pile of very loose sand. I'm going to assume that at that time, it was basically all dune and beach outside of whatever little settlement there was. Stands of beach vegetation wouldn't have made any easier, either. 

North Carolina sugar sand is fierce stuff. A few years ago, our then international correspondent and I rather spectacularly buried a rental car in it after a hurricane.