CHESS

nikongod

I love chess, though I have not played in many years.  When I did play, I was...adequate.  I would actually like to say I'm very good, because I was taught by some greats (my father -- classic two Russians getting together to socialize, talk politics, and play chess), and though I never beat him, I have beaten most every other non-Russian opponent at least once.

I only heard of Bujalski for the first time the other night -- was trying to explain mumblecore to my sister, which I am only familiar with, myself, theoretically (hadn't actually seen any mumblecore films, according to wikipedia).  ( a ) Are you familiar with mumblecore?  ( b ) Would you recommend it to me? ( c ) Is this mumblecore?

He invented the genre. He hates the term. I really dig his stuff. Suspect you would too (start with whatever is convenient, but I'd recommend Mutual Appreciation). This seems more ambitious, but close enough. He's more important than the genre in my book.

EDIT: Just watched 10 minutes of Computer Chess. Looks fantastic. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

Love playing chess.  Bought the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" and have subjected all family members to it.

Fun to learn about building up attacks on squares to control real estate (rather than just trying to win pieces) and increasing the dynamic value of pieces in relation to the opponent.

The subtle things build up and then later positions can seem "beautiful". 

I know how the pieces move, but that's where my knowledge ends. I never got good at doing coordinated attacks.

However, besides playing the game itself, I've always just liked the look of a chessboard as a display piece. So many different styles out there too. I have one made of stone pieces brought to me by a friend who visited Peru. Very unique set.

Edited by screaming oranges
  • Like 1

Nice game!

Played in tournaments in the 80's (US Open a couple of times). I used to play all over California.

I haven't played anything but a few 5 minute games here and there since.

I came across a couple of boxes of my old chess books the other day while I was deciding what books I really wanted to save. Fisher's 50 Favorite Games made the cut.

Brought back some memories of when I all my friends were SF Bay Area chess guys.

Those were some very crazy days!

• 1 month later...

The chess.com app for Android is not too bad. Dunno how it works on the iPhone, but I imagine pretty well. 

I just found mate in 4 in a game. Very proud. 

My next trick will be not trading my queen for a night in every 8'th game.

Last time it was a night and a rook... :facepalm: