Astell&Kern stuff

HiWire

The 901 is truly the best of the bunch from a sound perspective. The Ak100 needs an amp to be used with my JH13s for the bass to come to reasonable quality. The 901 can be quirky as some songs seem to start at the 1-2 second second mark and at times it doesn't like micro sd with adapters but all and all a device that rivals home set ups. 

I would live with all the quirks of the 901 prior to spending on the 120 or 240 as I doubt they'd sound nearly as good and are both more $$. I've got the Sony on order and am interested to see if it can get close to the 901 without the UI, song start issues or card reading quirks. 

The Fiio has its own thread. The UI is kinda basic, but it works. With an amp, I like it. I concur with John. The 901 sounds terrific. The AK isn't quite my cup of tea.

You should try the iBasso DX50 as the UI is much more polish...though...a far cry from Sony NW-ZX1.  It also sound  more open than the X3 to boot.  The DX50 is really good deal given its price tag of $250.00

The 901 is truly the best of the bunch from a sound perspective. The Ak100 needs an amp to be used with my JH13s for the bass to come to reasonable quality. The 901 can be quirky as some songs seem to start at the 1-2 second second mark and at times it doesn't like micro sd with adapters but all and all a device that rivals home set ups. 

I would live with all the quirks of the 901 prior to spending on the 120 or 240 as I doubt they'd sound nearly as good and are both more $$. I've got the Sony on order and am interested to see if it can get close to the 901 without the UI, song start issues or card reading quirks. 

I think you will like your soon-to-get here ZX1.  The AK100 isn't that great sound wise unless the 22 ohms resistor is bypassed.  I didn't think much of the stock AK100 but really enjoy the modded AK100 (MS-AK100).  The ZX-1 has noticeably better resolution compared to my MS-AK100.  The width of soundstage is noticeably wider while the details are more there compared to the AK100.  The bass notes are also thunderous.  Like you I have the JH13pro and I thought that it mates very well with the ZX-1.  I wish I have the 901 to check out but I'll stop with the ZX1.  

I really look forward to checking this unit out and hope it is close to equal the 901. The 128 on board memory is great (well not so much as I now have a small army of sd and micro sd cards).  

I think some people view these devices as jogging, airplane, train or ust walking around devices. I don't that is the realm of the iPhone to me. I use a portable dap more like a transportable system for travel, sitting outside, on my balcony or at the pub listening when no one joins me for a pint. The environment in a plane with it's low rumble to me negates many of the benefits of a high end dap. 

I am interested in the Caylx (sp) but will wait to hear that one and figure that out of the gate they'll suffer UI problems not unlike ibasso, hifiman, fill and to a lesser extent AK. 

Which begs the question, does the $1k get close to a $1k desktop/main system DAC, or is the $1k price more for convenience and portability and equivalent to let's just say a $3-500 desktop DAC?
For me. 901 easily an equal to or greater than desktop set up in the CIEM REALM. The AK100 not so much but still very good

Checked out the AK240 twice at Astell and Kern's Booth.

The build quality is fantastic.  Real Carbon Fiber backplate.  Solid metal.  It's significantly thicker than the AK120, but not as thick as it looks in pics from the top down view.  It's an optical illusion.  Kind of like an isometric 3D view.  The AK240 is thinner than the HM--901.

That said, I don't like the styling of the AK240.  It's bold for sure, but it's not comfortable to hold with it's sharp edges, especially that lower right hand corner.

The Android based UI is simply awesome.  Fast, responsive, and very intuitive, especially for anyone with an Android device.

The single micro SDXC card slot has cards seating very flush to the side.  Nail-biters will have a tough time ejecting and inserting cards.

Initial impressions of the sound quality, is that it's a definite step about the AK120, but still not as good as the HM-901.  There seems to be a slight bump up in the mid base region, making bass a bit muddy sounding overall.  Low bass extension is not as deep as HM-901, nor as tight.

Treble has good extension, and very smooth, even with very sibilant music tracks I use to test for this one.

But all of these points are moot if the AK240 is going actually sell for $2400 USD.  It's a difficult sell even at the AK120's old price, IMO.  But it's simply way too much.  So you'll have to ask yourself how much you value a superior UI. 

Is the Superior Android based UI, smaller form factor, and better battery life really worth over $1000 over it's nearest competitors?  Not for me.

Also, factor in, that you could buy an entry level HM-901 AND a pair of Custom JH Audio Roxanne's for the SAME PRICE.  

Thanks for your impression Ed.  Personally, I think the AK240 is overpriced no matter how great it actually sound.  I wish the price tag will be around $1500 and not $2400.

I've been pretty impressed with the Sony NW-ZX1 lately.  Its UI is even more fluid than my new Nexus tablet.  The sound is quite excellent with my JH13pro, but I'm sure that the HM-901 is better sounding especially with more difficult to drive phones.  The ZX-1 has a built in DLNA app and I was able to stream hi-rez files from my wireless portable drives without a problem.  It also work with my Pico DAC/AMP via USB digital connection.  Several people from the other site did let go of their AK120s once they have audition the Sony against the AK120. 

• 4 weeks later...

anyone here have had a decent go with the dx50? One come out at my side at a reasonable offer, but i unfortunately wont be able to test it due to logistic issues.

Thanks

I had it in the past and really enjoyed my time with it.  If you can get over some minor UI issues & screen sensitivity, it is a really nice sounding DAP at its price point.  I recommend the DX50 over the X3 any day of the week.  You can mount additional storage via USB OTB function as well.

USB OTG you mean? i was googling OTB like an an idiot haha.

I can connect a portable hard drive to this ? 

I had it in the past and really enjoyed my time with it.  If you can get over some minor UI issues & screen sensitivity, it is a really nice sounding DAP at its price point.  I recommend the DX50 over the X3 any day of the week.  You can mount additional storage via USB OTB function as well.

USB OTG you mean? i was googling OTB like an an idiot haha.

I can connect a portable hard drive to this ? 

Sorry for the typo.  USB OTG is the correct term.  Regular HD won't work unless you have a battery powered one.  I no longer have the DX50 any more but I love the extra storage via USB OTG function.  You can always can get the AK240 if you want to feel very special.  Personally, the AK240 is one overpriced item with a very poor resale value no matter how great is the SQ relatives to others DAPs.  I still can't believe that folks are willing to invest over 4K on top end portable gears (AK240+highend CIEMs).

Edited by purk

• 8 months later...

Guys, I had decided to go for a Calyx M (really liked it, it was the only DAP that I found to be worth the extra cash over a regular player on SQ), but I gotta say the poor battery life turned me off a little bit. I just found out that the new AK100 II is about $100 less than the M – any thoughts? This might be a long shot, but has anyone been able to listen to both?