Amazon Announce Fire Phone

Grahame

Does Amazon sell .flac files?  If not, there's your answer.

Pretty sure not.  Only .mp3 and physical format to the best of my knowledge.  So why PCM/WAV but not .flac?

Anyway, I am all for market competition, but a phone from Amazon?  They have the customer base to think of the idea, but I'm not sure how they think they can compete with companies like Samsung, Google, and Apple.  Getting the owners to easily check out at Amazon is one thing, but unless there is that "gotta have it factor" and intuitive UI, people are not going to have them in their hands.  Gone are the days of having multiple devices in pockets: it's pretty much only smartphones, so Amazon will have to bring their A game if they want people to switch over... and I'm not really seeing it.  Nothing that others have, unless that Dynamic Perspective is what they are going with, but that seems to be a pain.  I'm not into the hand motion thing.

Imagine if I drop the damn thing.  What would I have bought on Amazon?  Or is that their plan?  ;D

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I'm as big a fan of Amazon as anyone, but this phone is a stupid idea.  The head tracking tech was more thought-out than I expected, but it's not going to sell them any phones. I'm really surprised they aren't tossing in something like a special data plan that includes unlimited usage of Amazon Prime's streaming services.

Giant fail, just like facebook phone. That was real, right? Real and fail?

Jesus I forgot about that.

So many awesome phones right now, I think we've hit a point where a new phone is not the most exciting thing in the world. The tech seems to have leveled off.

"590 nits of brightness"

Umm, what is the nits to lumens ratio?

Never heard of that before.

They don't convert cleanly. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candela_per_square_metre

http://www.unitconversion.org/luminance/nits-to-lumens-per-square-foot-per-steradian-conversion.html

Lumens has very little meaning for comparing devices.  

A 96" TV putting out 1000lumens is not as bright as a 48" TV only putting out 700lumens... By a reallly wide margin.