Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

Get a Ups for it.

One man's huge is another man's plankton.  YMMV, IMO etc, etc.

Unlike johnwmclean's, mine has been sitting here idly feeding off electrons for the last few days.

Will give it a run later tonight.  May even compare it to the M51. 

Good thing my KGSSHV has a volume control.....  ( Yep, looking at you John)........     :D   :lol:    :P

My concern is not losing power temporarily, it is lightning that strikes close that it takes out the equipment (this can happen even with a surge protector).

All this chatter about the Yggdrasil, even here... and I thought this place is sane, compared to the others. Maybe I should try to borrow one and see what I think after a couple of weeks. Never heard much of a difference between DACs, so care about ergonomics and desk fit more than anything else. (I was also vaguely considering making a γ3 once that becomes available.)

All this chatter about the Yggdrasil, even here... and I thought this place is sane, compared to the others. Maybe I should try to borrow one and see what I think after a couple of weeks. Never heard much of a difference between DACs, so care about ergonomics and desk fit more than anything else. (I was also vaguely considering making a γ3 once that becomes available.)

If you want mine for a week or so its all yours as long as you don't mind dropping it back in Sausalito.

You can pick it up from me Saturday at the SF meet.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my source which is an SACD/DAC for four years, and in that time I've been very happy with it, however because I'm not listening to CD's that often now, I was looking towards getting a DAC only.

The one I had in mind [ which I'm still going to get ] is a CH Precision C1, but because of it's cost I won't have the amount needed for quite sometime, therefore I've decided to place an order for a Schiit Yggdrasil which I've been told should be with me this coming Monday.

In the meantime I'm having that SACD/DAC sold by someone that's in the used audio business, who was recommended to me by Luke that brought the C1 to my home for that audition.

I've read good things about the Yggdrasil, but knowing how well that SACD/DAC [ K-01 ] and especially the C1 made my 009/BHSE sound, will give me a good idea how good the Yggdrasil is.

In selling the K-01 I expect to lose a lot of what I paid for it, so when getting the Yggdrasil and more so the C1, I won't be selling either.

You could probably buy the new Orpheus system if you sold all your stax gear and stopped this side- up-grading stuff. Or you are at least within striking distance.

I find the HE-1060 very appealing, but nothing else about that Orpheus 2 system.

• Like 2

You could probably buy the new Orpheus system if you sold all your stax gear and stopped this side- up-grading stuff. Or you are at least within striking distance.

Even if Dave’s gear (K-01, 009 and BHSE) sold at new prices it would hardly be near the Orpheus price tag.

Maybe the Yggdrasil is a side grade, maybe not, one things for sure I’m looking forward to impressions.

Congrats Dave!

Thanks John.

I've been advised the Yggy sounds better after it's been on 24/7 for two weeks, this advice was given by a head-case user [ I won't mention his name for assuming he wouldn't want me to ] and the gentleman I ordered the Yggy from. What I'll probably do though is leave it on all the time, which I was told would be safe to do, another thing I like about this order, is the Yggy is under guarantee for five years.

About the K-01, when I got it in 2011 it cost £15,000, but I'll be lucky if I get a third of that amount, same with the 009's if I were to sell those Earspeakers, however I'd be confident in getting what I paid for the BHSE assuming I were to sell that stats amp, that won't be happening though unless I end up in deep shit and need money desperately, at the moment I've no worries about that.

Regarding the Orpheus 2, even if I were wealthy [ which I'm not ] I still wouldn't get one, simply because it seems the HE-1060 can't be used with anything other than the HEV-1060, therefore if/when anything happened to that AMP/DAC, and it had to be sent off for repairs, then those headphones can't be used. This is why it's hopes Sennheiser come out with another new stats headphone that can be used with any stats amp.

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

You ordered the Yggy Dave! nice one. Going back to different DACs, I think they do/can make a big difference. It is not just the architecture either (DS v R-2R) it is the competency of the PS and the line board design. Remember, a DAC is basically a pre-amplifier with a digital board. If a DAC has a weak PS design or poor line board, but great digital circuits, it is not going to be so great IMO. I am getting the impressions the Yggy is well designed front to back. It is a buy direct product as well, so we can imagine it would be 3K from a dealer if price is to be a marker to quality on offer, though this does not always follow.

The Yggy has so many users now, it seems a safe bet IMO, though I have not heard it yet. Keep us posted re sound when out lands...

I received the Yggy earlier today, and from cold I first used it with my HD-600/Dynalo mk1 for an hour, then the 009/BHSE for several hours.

Now I was going to post my thoughts about it here on head-case, but because I'm selling the K-01 I don't want to write anything until that K-01 is sold.

The one comment I will mention though, is to say I am very impressed with the Yggy even from cold, would be an understatement.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My B-Stock Yggy arrived during the thanksgiving holiday.  I do love the way it is able to render a the soundstage. It outclassed my NAD M51 even when cold.  I wonder how long does it take to complete the break in period.  Only 48 hours so far.  BTW, you save $200 for going with a B stock unit.  Mine looks okay but it has a visible dent on the side plate.  Not seen from the front view however.

33 minutes ago, purk said:

Mike I don't think you will be disappointed.  As is, it is able to paint a more realistic soundstage than my other DACs and that's tough to do in my book.  The real test is how well it stacks up to my heavily modified SACD players.

I was so close to buying one but ended up buying the Gungnir MB and Ragnarok.  I may grab one down the road to compare but for now, I'm pretty happy.  I just need to decide on speakers.

Congrats Purk.

The Yggy spotlighted the NADM51’s shortcomings very clearly in my system, like yourself even new out of the box. The upgrade has been a very worthy investment for me, it’s actually the first DAC I’ve experienced an undeniable big improvement. Whist the NADM51 had a subtle improvement over the (TPA) Sabre based DAC’s I was building at the time, I feel the Yggy to be in another league altogether.

• Like 2