Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

19 hours ago, TMoney said:

Check this HF thread out. IMO this Torq guy is doing an exceptional job with his comparative reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil

His reviews are quite good, however, every time i read how the DAVE is the be all end all i become quite flabbergasted. Quite a few people consider it better than the TotalDac Monoblocks, DCS Vivaldi etc.

Switching supply, a PSU that's nothing to shout about, about the size of an large pencibox and a PCB smaller than those found in the macbook air.

I have not heard it but i'm honestly dumbfounded about how so many people consider it better sounding than the yggy etc etc. Either robb watts hit the jackpot in terms of programming FGPA's for audio, or there are more deaf people around then i realize.

10 hours ago, stax fart said:

Look at the Chord Dave thread, some guy questioned about Dave's PSU and PCB and everyone (including Jude and a guy that works for Chord) jumped at him like crazy...

It's called a politically correct feeding frenzy     :o

Edited by wink

• 5 months later...

He clarified with an addendum that he meant in the context of 24-bit hi-res data. Little does he know that "modern" DACs use 1 to 6 bits of equal weighted 1-bit DACs...

That said, some of the people in the thread on SBAF are kind of going off the rails with the multibit zealotry... some of this crazy fanboy talk that multibit sounds like angels are singing to you from heaven and DS DACs are unlistenable with no emotion. One of them did admit he was drinking heavily when he posted his crazy talk, so I guess it's not so different from HC. :) 

Agreed. I've basically lost all interest in SBAF other than for breaking news, meets, and the for-sale thread. Sounds like another prominent headphone related website we all know.

I've never been quite sure quite what to make of Mike Moffat as an engineer. Anecdotally, some of the things he says publicly leave me scratching my head. While he does have some impressive innovations under his belt, being first to market has never seemed as important to me as being good. I have met him a few times and that didn't clear anything up.

I own his current two top DACs in Yggy and Gun-MB, but I'm no where near confident enough to say that I hear big differences between those two and my Sabre based Oppo 105.

Then again, I'm also getting to the point of satisfaction where a new component or headphone has to make a huge difference to even pique my interest.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So I stupidly ordered a USB Gen 5, which I thought was the standalone module only.
.... but no I’ve been put in line for the whole Yggdrasil upgrade thingy.

For a simple pull out module, 5 minutes work... what a debacle.

My fault I should have read the small print.

3 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

So I stupidly ordered a USB Gen 5, which I thought was the standalone module only.

Upgrade-itis is entirely responsible for this errant behaviour.   Stifle thee, thyself......   :P

Seems that they will eventually sell the boards as a self-upgrade:-

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-1471#post-13605642

Edited by wink
Moar info

10 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Thinking about doing it to.  Is the $150 a flat cost plus one way shipping?