Closed - KGSSHV Carbon and GoldenReference HV PS Group Buy

mwl168

See attached image for a sketch for both 388 and 288 cases. There isn't much room for error, unfortunately. Even shaving off 1-2mm off the boards would help them fit. They will likely fit as is, though (maybe with Kapton tape along the back and front panels, since they will touch the boards). Since we just barely started discussing transformer specs on the main kgsshv thread, it's hard to know what SumR or Toroidy can do (or if r-cores make more sense, and how large they need to be).

If the whole thing can fit in a Galaxy 288, then with 5cm sinks on both sides, the entire amplifier will be the size of a Galaxy 388 case, which is quite compact. That said, even a 388 with sinks is fairly reasonable. It'll fit on all but the smallest desks.

As for sinks, I would be delighted to find ones angled upwards, like on Justin's BHSE.

post-4582-0-15062600-1435616523_thumb.pn

See attached image for a sketch for both 388 and 288 cases. There isn't much room for error, unfortunately. Even shaving off 1-2mm off the boards would help them fit. They will likely fit as is, though (maybe with Kapton tape along the back and front panels, since they will touch the boards). Since we just barely started discussing transformer specs on the main kgsshv thread, it's hard to know what SumR or Toroidy can do (or if r-cores make more sense, and how large they need to be).

If the whole thing can fit in a Galaxy 288, then with 5cm sinks on both sides, the entire amplifier will be the size of a Galaxy 388 case, which is quite compact. That said, even a 388 with sinks is fairly reasonable. It'll fit on all but the smallest desks.

As for sinks, I would be delighted to find ones angled upwards, like on Justin's BHSE.

if you are using the single HV/LV boards with chassie mounted caps...you might find it easier to get a fit inside the small Galaxy ...

HV single: 3x4.11

LV single:3.72x2.4

Bias:3.56x2.0 (including NB)

I think there are some minor differences but not worth seeking out 1968s for the prices they command

Good thing I'm sitting on about 200 pieces of 1968's.  ;D

I know Birgir is sitting on few thousand or so, he depleted pretty much all the 1968's in Japan. 

I have posted the GB participant details as of July 2 in my first post of this thread. Please check and make sure I got your information correct.

Sorenb has asked for the GoldenReference LV boards and separate Bias boards. Are there others that are interested in these boards?

Also, I have one inquiry on using the V3 Carbon board. I have visually traced both the latest Carbon V2 and V3 boards that Kevin posted on 6/30 (someone(s) else really need to trace them, including the PS boards, to make sure I did not miss something). However, we know the V2 circuit has been tested but not the new servo on the V3. I am inclined to use the V2 board for the GB but am open to make V3 boards for those daring J Please bear in mind that the cost of the board is in direct correlation with the number of boards ordered.

I am working on getting quotes from fab houses and hope to provide updates soon.  

Edited by mwl168

I would say just focus on the carbon and associated psus, it will become progressively more difficult to document and track any errors that pop up. unless you get overwhelming reception the low volume stuff should be trimmed. doesn't the split supply already have lv and bias sections?

I didn't see anything wrong with the amplifier boards but I probably need to take another look

Is anyone else getting hammered by questions about the Carbon? You'd think they were in mass production by the way people are trying to suck your dick for listening impressions

yes, and most of them are completely clueless.

its going to get worse.

i just posted the final schematic for the circlotron output board,

and will probably have a board layout by monday.

350 volts per microsecond!