What Are You Building Today

luvdunhill

3 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

and with good reason, naamanf.  We had extra boxes left over but the installers had to repair some areas and instead of leaving us add'l boards they used the spares.  I did not know as I work too much...excuses.  Wifey probably didn't think about it focused on the floor being correct.

We don't need perfection but certainly less of a standout ugly mess.  I would have the floor redone as its been a few years but I fear our pooch will go at it again...  We won't have the joy of her forever so once she leaves us we'll have it replaced.

HS

I would also assume that floor has an aluminum oxide finish for what that’s worth. 

• Like 1

We've just had our utility room done with Quick-Step, this shade https://www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/vinyl/alpha-vinyl-small-planks/avsp40030_canyon-oak-grey-with-saw-cuts . I've kept the spare boards!

I've authorized the same outfit to continue the same shade into the hallway. That is currently in darkish wood, also Quick-Step, which has been down for more than ten years, and has really stood the test of time. The same shade as the utility room will really make it much lighter. But we're having full commercial grade put down in the hall, which in a domestic environment is guaranteed for 25 years. By which time we'll be 90 - and either living in a care home or pushing up daisies.

• Like 1

Why does everyone assume they'll be pushing up daisies? Surely some of us will be fertilizing Lillies, Carnations, Hydrangeas, Buttercups etc ... 

Maybe even non flowering plants or weeds. I myself imagine I'll be pushing up Zucchini or Cucumbers. 

Edited by swt61
  • Haha 2

I've been working on a bunch of small projects with the laser lately, including a few custom coasters for friends and such.  Even made a batch for Andrew's baseball coaches.  The one in the background is the prototype, the foreground the final. We gave them to them last week and all thought it was pretty cool.  

337F958C-AD9D-4F32-A4B6-99F7D2830572_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.311041559eff543c2fd047c50693d1f8.jpeg

I'll post some of the other stuff after an even that I'm making them for and we'll see if others post some stuff that I've made for them.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

Why does everyone assume they'll be pushing up daisies? Surely some of us will be fertilizing Lillies, Carnations, Hydrangeas, Buttercups etc ... 

Maybe even non flowering plants or weeds. I myself imagine I'll be pushing up Zucchini or Cucumbers. 

I've had it written into my will that my ashes are to be taken up attached to a meteorological balloon and scattered at the edge of space at more than 100k feet. So if at some time younger people get a speck of dust in your eye, maybe it's me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

which in a domestic environment is guaranteed for 25 years.

We renovated a bathroom a few years ago. It was actually in mostly fine shape, except that the drain pan under the shower, which was made of lead, had started to leak. This was not surprising as lead pans have a useful life of 75 years or so, and ours had been installed in 1931. At any rate, there was no real way to only replace the pan, so the whole bathroom had to be gutted. I remember asking the contractor whether all the newfangled and improved construction materials would also last 90 years. He laughed and said 15 to 25 was probably the max.

You can have a copper pan made, which will last at least 100 years. 

The thing is, today people want to remodel around 15 years or sooner. 75 years ago, remodeling was for the wealthy, and even they waited 40 years in between remodels.

Edited by swt61

The small semi-detached house (ie a common wall with a neighbour) that I was born and bred in was bought by my grandfather in 1925. Any modifications my dad did himself. The only bathroom modification was removing the high level cast iron toilet cistern and replacing it with a low level one and new pan in about 1965. The original was working just fine, other than needing a combination flush - one quick pull followed by a slightly longer one.

After my Dad died and my Mum came and lived locally to us (300 miles South), the new owners did extensive mods, with extensions to the side and rear. Google Earth shows that it is a pale shadow of what it was. Bigger for sure, but with big excrescences sticking out the sides. But it still has a common wall with a neighbour.

When Granddad bought it, the house backed on to a large area of fields, something that was still there when I was born. Then the inevitable happened - the fields were sold to developers, and from about 1960 was filled with houses.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on my first ever coffee table. Have the base built, but not finished.
Next up is making the top which is going to require me to learn Fusion 360. Top is going to be 2” thick in the middle with a radius on the bottom following the radius on the top of the base. 

C96635A9-2062-4DF6-B672-8FAC14936378.jpeg

29FCEFCF-92DD-4CB4-A672-BD9228EA1F79.jpeg

537B46A9-ACB6-4651-B780-2A08617F6661.jpeg

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, swt61 said:

That is awesome! I love how you placed all the sapwood at the outside edge of the leg tops. That is a very elegant design. Is it yours?

It is, I took elements of things I like and kind of put it together in my head. So far so good🤞

• Like 6

Finished up a Soekris dam1021 build. This is the new rev7 board with a lot of improvements trickling down from the flagship dac2541. HiFi2000 case, FPE panels, JLSounds I2SoverUSB v.III input, LT3045-based power supplies, direct R-2R output intended for my headphone amp, and buffered output for my powered desk speakers.

My aesthetic stylings and DIY skills haven't advanced even the tiniest bit since 2010, but I like the brutal elegance and minimalist functionality. Most importantly, it sounds really nice.

R-2R 2.jpg

R-2R 3.jpg

R-2R 4.jpg

• Like 19

On 28.08.2021 at 23:27, Emooze said:

Получил работу на первом этапе своего следующего проекта, усилитель, который начинался как клон Menace и со временем немного изменился. Входной каскад 6SN7, CCS со схемой 21st Century Maida в качестве источника питания B +.

1285892036_20210828ampfirststagetest.JPG.c43aeab1c1ee3a08170f2b1e0eb4583c.JPG

Nice! It will be interesting to hear what do you think about Maida 21st. I replacing(or reducing) now all unregulated CLC filters in favor of this power supply in my tube amp. Also I am thinking to build Maida 21st based on LT3045 and some other transistor. 

PXL_20210913_063124549.thumb.jpg.ff2ad810d352687a8842881258ec0c59.jpg

It's been a while since I built something goofy just for the sake of building something goofy. This is a JFET buffer pushing a stepup transformer (LL1674) to a 71A parafeed output stage using some custom Lundahl parafeed outputs. Tubes are CCS loaded with CCS driven filament supplies and shunt regulated bias. HT PS is choke input with a small regulator before the CCSes. The driver PS is dual Jung regulators. Sounds lovely other than for the slight hum that eludes me. It's surely something stupid that I won't find without rewiring the whole thing.

• Like 16

32 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Nice! So, you mean you started with a F360 model and did everything within their ecosystem, or a combination of tools?

Everything in F360. 

Since that part worked out I threw caution to the wind and did the top of the coffee table. 

E5E9D9A5-13C4-4F00-A2F3-8CE823FBED36.jpeg

320ABB49-BC28-43E2-84FA-496FD1C91587.jpeg

E84AF679-32EC-48A6-B02B-027CA1334E83.jpeg

654AE336-617F-41BE-BF7C-9E8C0436DE44.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3