Electric toothbrushes

shellylh

Not a toothbrush recommendation, but have you ever thought about getting a online/print subscription to Consumer Reports, Shelly?

I just get the monthly print version, but they test all nature of things from toothbrushes to tires vigorously and impartially.

I find it helps a lot with these types of buying decisions where all you really know are the brands. I'm almost always satisfied with the products they recommend.

Just a thought. Good luck with your purchase!

Shelly, TheSweetHome and TheWirecutter are fantastic sites. I used to do tons of research on things (a hobby, because I'm often bored,) and the things I had researched greatly, I checked out the thoughts of TSH/TWC. What I found lined up rather well with what they had, and their reasonings for their choices are fairly sound. With some of the electronic stuff, they had people who I'd trusted reviews of for years, so it seems like they get good people.

FWIW, I have an Oral-B 5000 (a more expensive version of what they recommend) and I dig it. it's 150$ in stores, but my dentist had it for 100$, with 67% more heads, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash, and a 20$ rebate. Since I have tax on amazon, and none of this, it wound up being 25$ more than the entry level one, with some bonus stuff that gets used.

My rec? If you like the sensitive head for your Oral-B, get a 1000 and some sensitive heads for it. If you didn't love it, give the Sonicare a shot.

Also, you can probably keep your old Oral-B around and use it to clean grout/around small things in the kitchen/bathroom. If you did that and went with the new Oral-B, you could still keep using old brush heads for cleaning (I'm sure you'd be fine just soaking them in some alcohol to sanitize them, right?)

**BRENT**

Checked out TheSweetHome.

Very cool site!

Thanks for the tip. 

I hated the Sonicare. I have a tendency to get gum problems and it made things worse. I have a nice one that is use for household cleaning now. Of course, it could have been user error but that was my experience.

57 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

Shelly, TheSweetHome and TheWirecutter are fantastic sites. I used to do tons of research on things (a hobby, because I'm often bored,) and the things I had researched greatly, I checked out the thoughts of TSH/TWC. What I found lined up rather well with what they had, and their reasonings for their choices are fairly sound. With some of the electronic stuff, they had people who I'd trusted reviews of for years, so it seems like they get good people.

FWIW, I have an Oral-B 5000 (a more expensive version of what they recommend) and I dig it. it's 150$ in stores, but my dentist had it for 100$, with 67% more heads, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash, and a 20$ rebate. Since I have tax on amazon, and none of this, it wound up being 25$ more than the entry level one, with some bonus stuff that gets used.

My rec? If you like the sensitive head for your Oral-B, get a 1000 and some sensitive heads for it. If you didn't love it, give the Sonicare a shot.

Also, you can probably keep your old Oral-B around and use it to clean grout/around small things in the kitchen/bathroom. If you did that and went with the new Oral-B, you could still keep using old brush heads for cleaning (I'm sure you'd be fine just soaking them in some alcohol to sanitize them, right?)

**BRENT**

Biscuit residue requires more power.

• Like 1

I've looked at a bunch of reviews (including thesweethome) and have also had consumer reports in the past.  I just wanted opinions from people I know.   Just wondering if anyone had a good or bad experience with one or the other.  I have the Oral B 5000 right now so maybe I'll just stick to that.  

The only reason I'm replacing it is that I think water is leaking into it since it is no longer sealed at the top so I'll probably just recycle it.  It's probably not great for water to be getting into electronics. 

Two years ago I had a crapload of dental work done, because I was an ass for many years and did not take good care of my teeth. Even during that time I used an Oral B. My new dentist recommended a Sonicare. I bought one and have loved it since. And my exams since using it have been excellent. So that's my 2 cent recommendation.

• Like 1