Your best values under $200 (used is ok)

deepak

Grado SR-60. Still one of my favorite headphones.

Hella uncomfortable when new. Works well out of a DAP (won't kill the battery).

Sennheiser HD580

Nice all around headphones, also great for movies. Sound great with simple amps (cmoy, Govibe, etc).

If I was ever in a major financial rut I could probably sell everything for just those two.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock

Actually, scratch that. :laugh: I would just add the MS-1 to the list.

I give high props to the SR-225, A900, HD580, and E4.

Used K701 usually go for about $200. Good deal there as well.

I'll second the HD580 -- just a good all-rounder.

I'd also second the Grados, except that I find them uncomfortable.

Etymotic ER-6i -- sounds pretty darn good without an external amp.

Sony MDR-7506/-V6 -- ditto, and they're well nigh indestructible, plus they fold (you can even do the DJ thing and only fold one side), which makes them ideal for travel for people who don't like to put things in their ears.

grado hf-1 (its like a better sr225)

Koss KSC-35 (like a KSC-75 if it didn't suck)

Koss porta pro (next best choice if you don't like clip-ons)

grado sr-60 (I got a used pair for 20 bucks hehe)

senn 580 (Probably the reason crossfeed was invented -> its got that hi-fi sound the girls swoon over)

On the other hand, sony v6 is a bright peice of crap and I have nothing good to say about it sound wize.

Biggie.

I guess I'm the only one that can't stand the SR-225.

You're not alone. I'd put them up there as one of the few purchases I've made that left me wondering why the hell I'd bothered and what the heck the hype was all about.

My list would only echo others:

HD600 - occasionally can be found for under $200 and are worth every penny

HD580 - modded they sound nearly as good as the 600s did

PIMETA - I can't believe how trashed this amp gets considering it's the equal or better of any portable I've heard when properly built and can make a heck of a small office rig. Easily had for under $200.

HD600 is a great value. After I discovered Audio Technica, specifically the W1000, I sold my HD600 and HD650. But I bought another HD600 a couple of months ago. It sounds good with just about anything and can be had for under $200 used.

I third the sentiment about the SR225. It was my first hi-fi headphone, touted by many as the sweet spot in the Grado line-up. Looking back now, I think it was one of those Head-Fi FOTM things. I returned it to TTVJ after a couple of weeks. I just couldn't handle the screechy highs. I demo-ed a pair again a few months ago and was reminded why I returned it in the first place. But hey, to each his own.

HD580/used HD600 (cheapest potential high-end sound)

used DT831 (needs a 120ohm adapter, but unexpectedly good sound for a cheaper closed headphone, and nice comfort)

A900 (great comfort, easy to drive, good all-around sound for a closed can)

KSC35/KSC75 (best sound for the buck, period)

I certainly agree about the PIMETA, it's a great value as a headphone amp, and only worth upgrading to $400+ amps like the ECSS or GL+DPS.

I'll fourth the anti-SR225 sentiment, it sounds more like a $100 headphone than a $200 one.

I'll add the EMU 0404 as a cheap source, especially with a few quick mods, it's all you really need until an upgrade to the $600+ DAC level (unless you're an anti-computer-playback facist) :D