Watches

Dusty Chalk

I think both watches are very nice. The Zenith El Primero VPH 36,000 is on my wish list at Amazon, but the Carrera still has a respectable movement as well (I.e. not an off the shelf movement like an ETA). In my case I'm partial to SS bracelets rather than leather straps, but both of those watches are well suited for a leather strap. One thing I like more are luminous hands and markers, and I think you get that with the Carerra but not the Zenith.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just paid for my GMT Master.  Rick Littlefield, of piecesoftime.net, found lots and lots of problems, but only charged me for the basic refurbishment, because he took so long doing it.  He kept asking me if I was sure that Rolex had done the last service.  I have the papers, so I know they did, but it seems like Rolex did not do a good job.  I'll post pics once I have it in hand, sometime next week.  We decided on a case refinishing that brought it back to about 90% of new.  A watch from the 60s that has been worn every day since should look like a used watch, but it was in good shape other than the dent I put in the clasp when I fell off my bike and rode the watch band for 20 feet or so (he took the dent out and says the refinish on the part looks great), and some deep gouges in the "crystal," so he was able to take more of the wear out without taking too much metal off.  Can't wait to get it back on my wrist!  

Would you mind saying how much the Rolex service was? I am sort of dreading even asking how much a non-working 50s rebuild is going to cost.

$450.  Everything I've read has said that pieces of time does about the best job there is on the vintage stuff.

I meant the servicing at Rolex, since that will probably be what I need to do. But re-reading your post it sounds like someone else had it serviced there? Either way I'll send Rick a message.

Also, post pics!