Watches

Dusty Chalk

I thoroughly enjoy my Nixons.  The Time Teller is practically weightless, the 51-30 is the opposite -- it has presence -- and is practically bulletproof -- I accidentally smashed it against a door jamb once, and the door jamb lost.  And the Mellor is a nice plain simple middle-of-the-road watch.  But the door jamb wouldn't've lost that one.

I have to admit, though, I don't actually own a Falcon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First post in this thread (I think.)

Have worn one watch for the last 13 years since I got it as a present from my wife -- a plain stainless Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

Wouldn't mind branching out a bit and quite like the idea of something slightly larger and more rugged, in the Submariner/Seamaster mold. Much bigger than that -- Panerai etc. -- I find a tad too assertive.

Would welcome suggestions. Budget flexible, but I'm not looking for something expensive just for the sake of it.

Thanks Case.

I would recommend you look at the 44mm Panerai as they do not wear as big as some would think. My favorite in my collection right now is the Hublot Big Bang which I think would suit you well as a South Africa Playboy.  

Hublot1.jpg

Something a bit more understated, easier to pull off on formal occasions is very well made is the Patek Nautilus.  I do not wear mine much as I like a larger watch.

patek-philippe-nautilus-ref-5711-and-580

Or a simliar watch with a bit more edge.  I personally prefer the Royal Oak to the Nautilus. 

764139d1342346564-ap-royal-oak-patek-phi

If you want a cheaper dive watch that you don't see 100 times a day on the street you could think of something in the UN line.  I have a Maxi Marine that is pretty great.

UN-Maxi-marine-blk-2.JPG

Or a Blancpain,  Love this watch.

22321.jpg

Maybe an IWC.

3719_DSC0885.jpg

• Like 1

Stretch, I like the Explorer I one a lot since the upsized it to 39mm.  The upside is that you get an understated sports watch that is versatile enough to be worn with a suit.  It is also somewhat less common than a submariner.  The downside is that it might be too similar to your current watch:

exp.jpg

Watch Snob:  http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/

Edited by CherryBomb