Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 3 weeks later...

I can chime in here, not been around for a bit -so hey all.

But I am a timepiece guy, too.

Dusty, consider the Bambino from Orient. It is a dress piece with a bit more size to it, giving a more modern wearable look to it. The kit will come with an in-house movement and should present nicely for work and dress occasions.

I would not go with a Nixon or Fossil, personally.

The issue that I have is that my wrist is narrower just above my ulner styloid so if it fits tight over the bone it just slides up my arm.  If I wear it tighter it tends to sit to high up my arm.  Bands with a little elasticity work better but even those have been annoying me lately... :sigh: 

edit - yes, all of my bands have that fine adjustment but even that sometimes isn't enough to find a 'happy spot'.

Heh my ulnar process juts out freakishly far on both wrists. Wrist mildly inverted and flexed.

5jBd64D.jpg

I should have taken pictures of the fat atrophy that occurred on the left wrist from wearing a proper fitting Rado for a while. I prefer watches with leather straps these days.

The watch is real. It's a circa 1983 Submariner with the 3035 movement, and Rolex band. The cyclops viewed at an angle still shows the Rolex's larger magnification factor vs all the fakes out there. I have a very nice looking fake as well, and its cyclops hardly magnifies at all. The fakes usually have too much material at the base of the crown guards as well. I'll post a photo of the two together later. I have never worn the fake out in public, because anyone in the know can tell it's a fake because of the cyclops.

The watch shop has sold me several watches over the past year (Citizen, Victorinox, Luminox, etc) and dropped the price on this one slowly over the past two months of haggling, from $5,495 to $4,495. I still had $3,800 from the insurance company last year to replace my stolen oyster perpetual that my grandfather had given me.

I haven't had a chance to adjust the band but it's very easy to do. Although I do tend to like to wear my metal bracelet watches slightly loose, this is still too loose (as is the TAG Classic I bought from Marc that I need to adjust). I actually prefer the feel of a leather strap, but the look of a metal bracelet.

Twice in the last few days I have come one link piece away from losing my Zenith El Primero at the bottom of the lake. I noticed that it was hanging on by a single link piece 2 days ago and I just pushed the pin back in and didn't even think to check for the lock ring... Looked down on my return home today and it was in the same condition again. Fixed it correctly this time (with some spare link parts, going to get more on ebay) but that was almost a very expensive vacation.

Yet another excuse to start wearing a Suunto Ambit 2 Sapphire as an everyday watch.

Not bought yet but planning on it... I'm getting my buddy to get me a price. About to order a cheap winder for the Zenith and I will put the Breitling in there too.

I have always wanted a Suunto with the barometer so it has to be the Ambit 2 not 2s. I was thinking that for everyday wear it was worth getting the sapphire crystal because I am pretty hard on watches and anal retentive about scratches.

So I found that it's really hard to get good photos showing the genuine Submariner and the imitation Rolex side by side, because of the distortion from the camera lens up close and from reflections of light and other objects in the crystals.  

You can see the cyclops on the imitation Rolex on the left has a lot less magnification than the genuine watch on the right.  Also, the crown guards on the imitation overlap the base of the crown.  What you can't see in the photos is that the imitation watch has a 60 click bezel, and the genuine watch has 120 clicks.  Some of the other visible differences could be due to the imitation being modeled after a newer generation watch, such as the wider hands or larger hour marker dots.  The newer watch style doesn't have holes on the outside of case for the pins to attach the bracelet, while my older watch does.

Otherwise the imitation watch is an automatic and keeps pretty decent time, but the hands have fewer steps per second in their sweep around the face.

52dk.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com