Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 1 month later...

img2620zh.jpg

img2615qx.jpg

I'm partial to the Citizen Eco-Drive Diver as an homage to the Submariner with an added bonus of the phallic minute and hour hands.  I'm still trying to figure out how they open the watch from the front to service it, since the case is a one-piece unit with a screw down crown and no removable back.  It shouldn't need much servicing since the solar-charged battery lasts over 20 years, but I suppose the gasket around the screw down crown can wear out every few years.  The SS bracelet is a low-cost replacement for the rubber strap that came with it, and the watch shop had just the right parts for matching the band to the watch.  I think it turned out perfect with the bracelet.

My son will use the Victorinox Dive Master 500 when he goes scuba diving again.  The luminous hands are very bright with both watches after just a 15 second charge with a flashlight (or just sunlight for a few minutes) although the Citizen glows a little brighter.  But he's less likely to scratch the sapphire crystal on the Dive Master, and leaving the rubber strap means it will fit him with or without a wetsuit.  He wanted a Citizen WR200 dive watch (Scuba Fin model) but I think this will make a better reward for finishing up his work toward Eagle Scout this summer.

How does the Casemind feel about this Carrera 1887 as a light-faced watch on a brown band in a reasonable size (41mm)?

CAR2111.FC6291.jpg

A (rather more expensive) alternative would be something like a 40mm El Primero and then change out the strap.

ScreenShot2013-05-26at52358PM.png

Edited by Hopstretch

Yeah, very few people know that for a good bunch of years the movement into the Rolex Daytona was a Zenith El Primero, until Zenith decided to keep their movements for their own use. Great watches, but liking their designs or not is very personal, as Ken says.