Watches

Dusty Chalk

Yeah, maybe - he's got a Casio and a Luminox Colormark blackout in PVD steel that he paid for himself, and the Ti Citizen eco-drive I gave him, plus the Omega Seamaster he got for being an Eagle Scout.  So, maybe 4 watches is enough for him (a beater, a pair of divers with one being a chronograph, and a dressy one).  

I don't see him cashing in any of his paychecks for one of these, he just wants someone else to buy it for him.  He's saving money for his 1st year of college so he wont have to work his first year to pay for clothes and toothpaste (next year).

I just thought I'd give an update on the Maurice Lacroix.  It ran extremely fast for a few days (it had been sitting in a warehouse for a couple years), but after the "break in" period, it has run +/- 0.  Seriously, it's outside my ability, with the tools I have (two different apps, once which uses observed times, the other which measures with a microphone) to measure inaccuracy. Pretty amazing.  I thought my Ball Trainmaster World Time and the Explorer II were doing well, running about + 2-4 seconds a month.

That's great - it's rare to have a mechanical watch that doesn't gain or lose at least 1-2 seconds/day, so even + 2-4 sec/month is amazing.  

My new Rolex GMT II BLNR has gained 2.5 seconds in the past 35 days, although more than half of that gain has been in the past week.  It tends to gain less than a second during the day, and then loses most of it back at night while I sleep, but lately I've been awake more than I've slept and so it's creeping upwards slowly. It runs +0 on it's back, but can gain slightly when laying crown down and lose slightly when resting crown up.

In contrast, my older Explorer II and Moonwatch run about +1.5 seconds a day, and my three Seamaster Pro's all run about +2 to +2.5 seconds a day.  My Titanium Planet Ocean 8500 runs about +3 sec/day, while my older PO 2500 runs about +4.5 sec/day, etc...

According to ML the strap is "veritable lizard". Their weakest part is around the buckle where they end up breaking. This is dry weather so the skin is shrinking, you can see that at the lugs end where the pin can be seen and there's some looseness. But this about 15 or 16 years after I swapped the strap the last time. Before that, when I used that watch on a daily basis, the strap didn't last more than a couple of years. They're very expensive, or that's what I remember, by those days I was a very poor resident.

I don't own a single mechanical watch that stays in the +2/-2 seconds month. I'd say that not a single one stays within that range a day. Some, like one of the Zeniths, are very sensitive to the position I leave them on the table at night. If put flat on its back it stays in the -3/+1 range, but if left resting on the side, it can get as slow as -10 seconds/day. In the winder it remains in between those values. I'd love checking a Spring Drive Grand Seiko.

Very nice, Nate!  How do you like the strap?

The strap is great and I'm very much looking forward to wearing the watch more.  I'll probably get the bracelet resized at some point but for now this offers a nice counterpoint to the Citizen that my wife got me for xmas (sacrilege comparison, I know).  

• Like 1

What's the general consensus around here about Tissot? I'm looking for a metal bracelet dressy diver watch (700$ super uber tops) and naturally Seiko 007/009 jumps into view, but my old man says that Tissot should also be worth looking at. Tried a few Seastars yesterday and they sat on my wrist pretty well. I still have a feeling that I'm overpaying for dat "Swiss Made" sign - am I? And what's more important - should I?

Edited by RudeWolf

I think it's a pretty safe bet, it's one of the midrange brands part of the Swatch Group, so they're using ETA or other well known and durable movements, with a decent finishing quality. It all comes to what's more of your liking.

I for one would go for a Seiko, the Prospex Scuba SBDC001 and SBDC007 are two of my favourite "affordable" mechanical dive watches, and if that is too much the SKX007 is a classic.

The Seastar is a classic line.  Keep in mind that this is a 48mm watch, so it's pretty large.  Since you want it to be dressy, I would definitely check to see if it fits under your cuffs.  I'd rather have the 42mm Tissot Seastar 1000, as much as I like chronographs.  The Hamilton Hamilton Navy Scuba (41mm) and Hamilton Seaview automatic  (42mm) should also be looked at in this price range.  Are you sure you want a diver?  If I were to buy a new sporty-but-sharp-looking watch under $700, I'd probably get a Hamilton Pilot Day Date auto (you may recognize this watch from Interstellar) (42mm).

Sure, 48mm isn't exactly petite, but I think that I'll manage. I don't wear suits that often, so it'll appear in a more smart/casual setting. As for Hamilton, they are pretty scarce in EU, but I had considered them. The problem is that that I already have a Maratac Mid Pilot Red, so getting another pilot/field watch doesn't seem much sense. Especially if its my second proper watch.